Dirlling metal at an angle?

Is there a decent technique to drill holes in metal at an angle?

My "new" car has more empty space in the engine compartment, but it has almost no "wall space". There are a couple spots big enough to mount things, but nowhere near big enough to get an electric drill in to drill the mounting holes, nor enough for one of those right angle or flexible cable attachments. Not enough for a center punch and hammer, although maybe enough for a hammerless center-punch (what do you call those?)

But I could get a drill bit in at maybe a 45 degrees angle.

I thought maybe I could put my finger on the bit and hold it in place while I dirilled, but maybe there's a better way.

Reply to
micky

Not with a drill.

I would think you'd be better off looking for a solution with a high speed rotory motor tool like a Dremel and some kinda burr/rasp bit.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Here, let me get that hook out of your mouth. :-)

Reply to
willshak

What are you going to mount in there, more cupholders? No good reason to be drilling in an engine compartment. Any aftermarket stuff you might put in there should come with clamp-on attachments. If you really want to drill holes in there, just take off the fenders and any other part in the way.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

9 millimeter full metal jacket? Seriously, could you use a right-angle drill with a short bit like these?

Larry W

Yea, I thought that was the obvious question here. Nobody else caught that one.

I wonder why "new" was in quotes.

Not sure what surface he could be talking about. Radiator bulkhead? Firewall?

Reply to
Home Guy

On sale, ten bucks.

Hey this is pretty good! Thanks. Will they give the web sale price at the store? I have to go to the store anyhow!

Especially with Larry's stubby drills. Thanks Larry.

Reply to
micky

A siren. Right now the alarm just blows a couple horns. It's feeble.

And a cupholder.

Because it's only new to me. It's a 2000 Solara convertible, in great shape, ;76,000 miles.

Radiator had no spots, firewall none I could get to and had enough space, plus the firewall requires checking out what's on the other side.

So far the most likely spot is the shock tower on the driver's side. Yes, I could probably take the wheel off and drill from the other side, but it would be hard to get the holes in just the right place. There isn't much room. Like I say, there is almost no wall space.

Reply to
micky

No room for a dremel either, except sideways. I don't think I can make a round hole that way.

I was kidding about holding it in place with my finger, but everything else was for real.

Thanks and thanks all.

Reply to
micky

How thick is the metal? If it is the sheet metal stuff, you MAY be able to do it with a Dremel or Foredom with right angle attachment and carbide burr. It may take a while if the metal has any thickness at all. Other than that, a smoke wrench .......

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

> On sale, ten bucks.

Yes, if you bring a printout of the web price. Lately I've been finding that the store sale price is always the same as the online sale price, but you might still want to call first to find out (and check stock).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

>> On sale, ten bucks.

Okay, Jon, Chris, I will print it out. This is more effort than it sounds like because the printer is now buried behind a bunch of things and hard to get to, and I rarely use it, but I will.

Thanks.

Reply to
micky

What you need is something I have had in my toolbox for years, a right angle aircraft drill. Mine is a SnapOn, but there are any others, a little pricey for one use, but far more compact than the Harbor Freight adapter suggested above. Google it to see some examples.

Joe

Reply to
Joe