dimensions of a dual switch/outlet faceplate

I am in the Philippines, and redoing our kitchen. I am using all USA made electrical supplies.

I need to install a combination switch/outlet and do not have the faceplate with me.

If I place 2 "handy boxes" together, will a switch/outlet faceplate fit when I get one. I do not have with me a double outlet box either.

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Lloyd

It would work if you could get them secured together. The double thickness wall where they meet will tend to keep the two devices farther apart then they should be, but there is enough adjustment to make it work. It would be a lot easier to just get a two gang box

Reply to
RBM

There are, or at least there used to be, metal boxes whose sides come off. If you wanted to join two together, you could take one side off of each and then they could be joined and be the right width. (If you wanted to join 3 together, you'd take both sides off the one in the middle.)

But the one you have in the picture is not like that. And I am not sure they still sell them. (Plastic boxes are legal in Maryland, and they have them in two and three width sizes. If I lived where only metal was legal, they probably would sell what I described.) If you are buying your parts locally, I'm sure your hardware store or electrical supplier can find you something that is two-gang, the right width for your plans.

If you are buying by mail or internet, you're right to be careful and plan carefully.

Reply to
mm