Dexter Lock

I'm going to replace a 20-year old, cheap, contractor grade Dexter lock on our garage/utility room door. Haven't a clue as to how to remove the sucker. There are no visable screws or bolts on the doorknob on either side of the door. The escutcheon on the knob has a small opening at the top next to the door.

Any clues as to how to remove/dismantle this set without using a hacksaw?

Reply to
Bubba

Stick a pointed object of tiny screwdriver in that hole. Pop off the cover and the rest is easy.

Some sets have a knob held on by a little thing that must be pushed in to release. Push and pull the know off. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Inside knob should have a small hole at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock where you can depress the retainer. (very strong safetypin works well, sometimes small jewlers screw driver works)

Inside knob slides off.

Big trim plate snaps off to expose mounting screws.

Oh, this is far too dificult for you to do without specialized tools. You need to call a professional contractor immediately, unless you want your house full of carbon monoxide, and to burn down in the middle of the night, killing your whole family. (That's the expected response from some AHR posters).

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Wow, Ed, I got a big smile out of that one. Generally your directions are top rate, but you musta been working on something else this morning.

"push and pull"?

Hope you can stand a little teasing, you really do provide thoughtful answers.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Slap that head a little harder. MIght knock some sense into you. Door knobs don't make CO.

Reply to
BGBevill

specialized

This is Turtle.

You had me reading the post and saying to myself. You know that boy knows something about lock smithing but you stopped and got stupid again. I then say well forget that thought for he must have forgot or did not know what came next. You stop talking about thing you may know about but talk too much about things you don't know about. Stormy you are going to have figure out what you know about and stuff you don't know about and just talk about stuff you are well versed about. And no Stormy your hvac / r abilitys are not that good to give advice on repairing correctly these type systems. sorry to say it but the trueth is the trueth.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

huh?

Reply to
Bubba
1) I've been in the locksmith biz since 1986 2) I did a bit of a parody of the fellows on alt.hvac telling HO's not to fix their own furnaces.

Apologies if there was any confusion.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

alt-hvac Moderated posted for all of us....

modified text>>

There ya go stumped, I spelled it out for you.

Reply to
Tekkie