Delta Faucet set screw stuck, then hubby tried to drill out screw and broke off the tap out. what do i do now?

Doesn't work, I have a stack of perfectly good left hand leather work gloves. I am right handed so that is the one that wears out. So far I haven't found a "lefty" to trade with :)

Reply to
Harry K

| Unlike some here, I love WD-40, but I think something like Liquid | Wrench would work better to unstick stuck screws. Maybe it's thinner?

In this case it's also hard to get it in there. The screw head points down when the water is off. I'd have to turn off the water just to leave the screw in a horizontal position. There's no way to leave it so that the liquid can soak in.

Reply to
Mayayana

Capillary action. It will soak in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Micky, Russell K Acton wrote: I tried Liquid Wrench and I have used a soldering iron to heat it up but nothing happens. The set screw is still stuck.

Reply to
Russell K Acton

Unless you were born with a horseshoe up your butt you will never get that broken tap out unless you know someone with an EDM machine. Kenny Rodgers got it right when He said "U got to know when to Hold 'em, Know when to Fold'em. Odds are you will destroy the unit anyway so dissconnect it from the supply lines and trash it.

Reply to
inventor

May as well just disconnect the water supply and replace the whole assembly

Reply to
inventor

Your theory will get you lots of heartache Taps are made of carbonized heat-treated steel and are much harder (Rockwell 60). Unless your a professional machinist you probably have only Rockwell 40

Reply to
inventor

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Didn't Kenny Rodgers also say something about idiots who respond to 5 year threads as if they happened yesterday?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Reading the "full context" is a trip down memory lane. I miss Bob Haller. Anyone know what happened to him?

Reply to
micky

Use a 3/8" left-hand drill bit. The drill bit is long enough to clear the handle and has a small enough OD that it won't damage the threads in the setscrew hole. With the drill set to reverse (the cutting direction for LH drill bits), use short bursts, slow speed and check regularly to see if the setscrew has come loose. Be careful not to drill through the brass cartridge stem. Worked for me and the setscrew and handle were reusable.

Reply to
Scubadoo

Are you sure of that size? Seems much too large going from memory.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ROFL. That one be one hell of a set screw size for a faucet handle.

Reply to
trader_4

Ah, sorry, I meant 3/16". The borehole for the setscrew is actually about 7/32". The older setscrews have a 1/8" Allen head but the idea is not to drill through the setscrew, thereby turning it into metal filings, but to get it to loosen with the LH drill bit rotating counter-clockwise. I was able to reuse both the setscrew and the handle.

Reply to
Scubadoo

CORRECTION: Use a 3/16" LH drill bit, not 3/8".

Reply to
Scubadoo

CORRECTION: Use a 3/16" LH drill bit, not 3/8".

Reply to
Scubadoo

Sorry, yes, that would be a mammoth setscrew. I meant 3/16".

Reply to
Scubadoo