Dehumidifier not extracting water

I have a Delonghi dehumidifier that is about 4 years old. It runs, but does not extract any water from the air. Any idea what's wrong with it, or if this could be a do it yourself repair? My guess is the compressor is bad.

Thanks, Lls

Reply to
lls8000

If the compressor is bad, you toss it and buy another. Not easily service by a DIYer and costly to have a pro shop repair it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Gain access to the evaporator coil. It is generally the coil accessible from the back of the unit where the air is drawn in. Let the unit run for a couple minutes and feel the evaporator coil. If it's cold then the refrigeration system is working.

Refrigeration systems in dehumidifiers generally don't wear out. The only ones I've found with bad refrigeration systems had some damage or corrosion to a refrigerant line that allowed the refrigerant to leak out.

If the refrigeration system is working then you likely have a problem with airflow through the unit. Either a clogged filter or possibly a bad fan motor. Some dehumidifiers have a press-on connection (rubber grommet) between the fan blades and the fan motor. Make sure the fan blades are actually turning.

4 or 5 years seems a bit young to be having any significant troubles. I suggest replacing them if there are any problems and the unit is older than 10-15 years. Newer ones are generally more efficient and quieter.
Reply to
Olaf

If all seems to be working well, it may just not be that humid...

Reply to
Olaf

The unit should have two distinct sounds. One is the fan blowing, the other is the compressor.

I'd suggest take the unit apart, and clean it. Clogged with dust is the most common problem I've seen on dehum.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon