deck floor board decision

I'm building my first deck and have reached the last two deck floor boards. I have a choice between ripping the second to last board or the very last one. Either way the last board will have to be cut around the vertical posts. The rip cut would be less than 2 inches. Which would you do?

Reply to
badgolferman

Neither. I'd have increase the spacing just a tad so the last board was either a perfect fit or damned close to it. Or closed them up to add another board.

If the boards are typical deck boards with a rounded edge you don't want to rip it unless you can round the edge again. If you can't do that, put the ripped edge to the outside.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why to the outside? Is there an advantage to that? Surely not looks?

Reply to
badgolferman

I would do it based on looks. It will show up a lot less on the outside than making that one gap look different than all the rest.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What deck boards are you using? If you are using 2X6 PT, why not just get a 2X8 or 2X10 to cover the last 2 pieces.

Reply to
Mikepier

The deck boards are 1X5 5/8 with rounded edges.

Reply to
badgolferman

Surely it IS looks. Look at he space between the boards. Note the rounded edges. Now rip a board and put it in it's place. See how ugly it looks by comparison. If the ripped edge is on the outside, it will not be next to another board for the visual difference. . Yes, it is all about looks. if you have a router and can put the round over back on, it will make no difference.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I built a deck with EON (plastic deck boards). A tip in the instructions said that if you can't fit the last deck board then just 'sister' onto the last joist board to extend the deck so that the last deck board fits without ripping. In your case maybe another 2x + 1/2 inch of something else to give you 2 more inches. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

I ended up putting two full boards and have 1.5 inches overhang. It ended up okay. Thanks fellas.

Reply to
badgolferman

That works. If it is in an area where people can walk, put some support under it. If it is under the railing, it should be OK just as is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski