dead rat with babies in the backyard

Sorry if this is an off topic subject but I could not help it. Today in the morning I saw from my basement window many flies in the backya rd. I checked and there was a dead rat! not very big one. I was shocked to see it. Anyway I put it in the garbage. I went back to the yard and I saw l ess than 1 meter away from the dead rat a baby rat, looked like just born b ut was not dead, was still moving but about to die, then I saw another baby rat less than half meter away from the other baby but the second one was d ead and i can see there was a cut and blood in his body. I put them all in the garbage.

My backyard is clean and almost empty (no spaces to hide). My neighbor has

2 cats. My question, what do you think did happen? to me is like someone (n ot human probably) throw them all or kill them all. But how and why the bab ies were there too? I was thinking maybe my neighbor cats did that (not com plaining) but I want to know what could happen and if you there there are m ore? it scares me really.

Thanks a lot and sorry once again if that is an off topic but I know many p eople here are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

Did you see something that makes you think it was a cat? Could they have eaten poison someplace the went to your yard to die?

Good that you got the mother but they can have 8 to 12 pups per litter so there may be more around. Hopefully, the cats are doing their job. You can put a trap or two out, but make sure it is something that won't kill the cats.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ckyard. I checked and there was a dead rat! not very big one. I was shocked to see it. Anyway I put it in the garbage. I went back to the yard and I s aw less than 1 meter away from the dead rat a baby rat, looked like just bo rn but was not dead, was still moving but about to die, then I saw another baby rat less than half meter away from the other baby but the second one w as dead and i can see there was a cut and blood in his body. I put them all in the garbage.

has 2 cats. My question, what do you think did happen? to me is like someon e (not human probably) throw them all or kill them all. But how and why the babies were there too? I was thinking maybe my neighbor cats did that (not complaining) but I want to know what could happen and if you there there a re more? it scares me really.

ny people here are so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks a lot.

I am just guessing because the second baby had a bloody cut, so maybe someo ne attack him. By the way, if I plant mint, would that keep rats/mice away? Thank you so much.

Reply to
leza wang

[...]

I don't know about mint, but I had a similar problem last year. The neighbors have a tangerine tree and they feasted on that, then jumped over the fence and were having my avodcados for dessert. I set out some cage traps and caught one now and then, but they seemed to learn to stay away after awhile. I called the county vector control and they set out some tubes wit rat poison. I never did see or smell any dead rats thought. Vector guy said the poison breaks down inside the animal and it is harmless if another animal eats the rat.

I'm not a tree-hugger but try to leave all animals and insects alone. I don't mind sharing my avocados. But in the case of rats, they are fleabags that can spread plague and other nasty diseases. For a choice between a rat and a human, especially me, the rat comes in 2nd place.

My honest opinion is that the neighborhood cats caught them in my case.

Reply to
Newgene McMensa

[...]

By the way, the only way I know kill them from a trap is to drown it. Not pleasant to do, but they drown in about 15 seconds. Also, if you do this, mix a spoonful of liquid detergent in the water first. That will break the surface tension and fleas will drown. If you don't, the fleas will jump out of the water.

Reply to
Newgene McMensa

She needs a wet nurse. Google wet nurse rat yourtown . Do this quickly before it dies.

Cats will bring the mice they kill back to their "owner" and deposit them in front of him. To show how talented? they are? Unles they eat them first. But if they are not hungry, or I suppose, if they catch a rat and it's too big to eat.

Why it left it in the middle of the yard.... just guessing, maybe it got tired carrying it, or it figured out the neighbor wasn't home, or the n'bor said "Why did you bring those here".

Maybe the babies followed on their own. Maybe the cut was from a cat's claw?

I'm just guessign.

Reply to
micky