Dammit! (water softener)

I took out the venturi from the water softener to clean the iron and crud out of it, and a little tiny part jumped out and hit the floor. (Kenmore calls it a "flow plug". There's two of them, and this was the lower.) I saw where it landed, but it still managed to disappear. I just spent about an hour on my hands and knees with a flashlight, but no luck.

I hate it when this happens.

I'll probably have to order a whole venturi assembly, and it'll take at least 2 weeks to get here.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

All I know is that they go 4 times as far as one would think they would.

Reply to
mm

Wasn't it Tom Sawyer who said to toss a similar object and they might meet up? Often works for me.

Reply to
Art

If by "Kenmore" you mean Sears, you can order any of the parts in their softeners. I have replaced all of the little rubber parts in the past - no problem. It does help to have the part number out of the manual.

You need to get a little silicone grease to lub the moving parts, again this is in the manual.

Yes, those little rubber gadgets can really dissapear!

WLW

Reply to
wwallick

I stopped by the local parts store this morning. They had them in stock; the rubber jet was $3 and the little cone-shaped screen (I thought they were just one piece last night) was $2.

I really wish I had given up after looking for them for about 5 or 10 minutes.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Now that you bought the new ones, the old ones will be found right in the middle of the floor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LOL. Or maybe on the desk.

Reply to
mm

I may have told this story before. In college my bicycle was stolen so I bought another at the police auction. I liked it so I bought 3 more just before school started inthe fall, to sell the other ones for a profit. I sold two and kept the gold one because it was so beautiful. Now I had two but only rode one.

2 or 3 years later, before leaving town, I sold the last one but removed the speedometer first, because I didn't have one. Rented a u-haul and took a lot of stuff to Brooklyn, NY. 3 or 4 years later, came across the speedometer and wanted to put it on my bike, but the center cable was missing. Looked everywhere in the box. 3 months later, I'm visiting my mother in Allentown, Pa. 2 hours away, and she will sometimes find things and give them to me. This time it was a cable. She had found it in a parking lot at a shopping center, and when she picked it up, her husband asked, What do you want that for? She said, MM might want it.

I get back to Brooklyn with it, and it's the perfect size and length and has the right gear or square stub at both ends for the speedometer. The speedometer worked fine.

For a while I tried to figure out if maybe I was at that shopping center and dropped my cable, but that was just impossible.

Reply to
mm

If the part doesn't get away I can usually find in my pocket; after checking the last place I saw it.

If the part gets away I really try to listen, for some indication of direction of travel. :-))

-- Oren

Oren

Yabbut, you ALWAYS find it in the last place you look, since you stop looking as soon as you find it (she ducks and runs...)

Reply to
<h>