Cutting Vinyl Siding?

Hi Guys Wife has a guest cabin to vinyl the exterior. We're using KayCan "snow-white" vinyl siding. The building needs 80' perimeter by 10 vertical, What's the best way to cut that type of siding? I know about skil and jig saws, and I know about setting a skil saw into the bottom of a 4x8 table. (I built this little cabin).

What I don't know is how to cut Vinyl without chipping it? Thanks Fella's Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

A cheap plywood blade installed backwards in your circular saw of choice does a fine job for crosscuts.

You can knock together a simple guide jig (I can upload a picture somewhere) to create your own little sliding saw for the crosscuts.

To do the angle cuts (gable ends) with saw you need one of the more expensive sliding miter saws and the backwards blade. I just use siding snips as I don't do it often enough to justify the expense.

Reply to
Colbyt

I cut it with tin snips. If I wanted better/easier I would use a sliding miter saw with a saw blade for plastic.

Reply to
Pat

- snipped-for-privacy@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com...

Yep. Big pair of tin snips is the answer.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Plywood blade running backwards. I've never had any luck with any type of blade running forward.

Reply to
DanG

Ken those snips that you have are great for cutting the nailing flange.

The blade is too short to provide a clean cut when cutting the face of the board or to protect you hand.

A decent set of siding snips will run $25 or less. Here is a link;

The longer blade protects the cut and the longer handle protects you hand.

Reply to
Colbyt

snipped-for-privacy@a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

p://

I speak from experience. The smaller the project, the more trimming you do and about the 3rd time you carry a piece to the saw for trimming you will be thinking 'that pair of shears sure would be nice now'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K