Cutting PVC

I was an electrician 20 years ago. We used to cut into PVC with a string but it was done when the pipe was empty.
My nephew is now working with PVC for fiber. He said that they cut into a pipe they thought was empty and it turned out it contained a fiber optics cable.
I was just wondering if you could wrap a string around a PVC pipe and keep tension on the spool and drive the cutting with an electric drill pulling the string?
I wonder how much success you could have in scoring around the pipe enough to break it in case it is not empty.
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 3:28:51 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.invalid wrote:

Seems if you were cutting PVC with a string as an electrician, you'd know the answer to that.
On Thu, 24 May 2018 13:27:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Exactly, it is the nymshifter, yet again.
Shake the pipe. Wtf
On Thu, 24 May 2018 13:27:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

The only time I fool with that cable saw is if I am cutting big pipe in tight quarters.
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 5:37:59 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I would agree. But the poster said he used a string, then something about a spool with a drill.
replying to trader_4, miamirestorations wrote: Agree with you
On Thu, 24 May 2018 15:28:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@none.invalid wrote:

I have cut a lot of PVC with wire in it. The trick is to use a regular PVC cutter or even a copper pipe cutter. Score it all the way around until it is almost cut through and then bend the pipe. It will snap right off.

I use one of these tail pipe cutters the few times I need to cut filled conduit. <(Amazon.com product link shortened) 25&creative5953&creativeASIN6XG2K74G> The wheels aren't quite big enough but it cuts most of the way.