Custom scotia: router or tablesaw?

I need to make a piece of custom scotia molding for under the treads of our staircase.

I need to match existing trim that is 100+ years old and I have not been able to find the size in the store.

The dimensions are: 3/4 x 1/2" The lip dimensions are 1/3" on the 1/2" side and 1/8" on the 3/4" side (these dimensions are different from what I have seen on modern Scotias)

- What is the best way to fabricate and replicate the molding myself?

- If I use a router, what type of bit should I use? cove?? If so, what size.

- Other people have suggested using a tablesaw with the wood at angle to the blade. If so, how do you decide what angle to use?

Finally what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?

Reply to
blueman

I don't think a TS can make the cut you need. That method is more for larger coves like on crown molding.

To do this with a router you will need a router table and probably a fence, the bit will depend on the shape you need. You may also need to use wedges depending on the angle needed.

Try rec.woodworking, the pros there can either tell you how to do it or where to buy it. It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the profile you need.

Reply to
RayV

Or use a molding attachment for the TS :

The blank profiles could be grinded to match scotia if a standard profile could not be found.

Reply to
# Fred #