Custom Kitchen Results

Just got firsthand experience on replacing my kitchen with a custom bleached oak shaker kitchen. Best offer on house before new kitchen: $477K After $22K kitchen upgrade: $489K Net result looks like 10K loss before commissions, etc., and a six week delay for kitchen to be installed. End result was this fantastic kitchen job got nit-picked to death and my money went down the garburator.

My advice? Let the new buyer put in his own kitchen and you pocket the profits.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Anytime you remodel it is a gamble. If they absolutely loved custom bleached oak shaker kitchen cabinets you might have made a couple of bucks.

Next time try doing this with an allowance for remodeling. Like 499K with a

15K decorating allowance.

This way they assume you will sell it as is where is for 484K.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yep.

That's what you get for trying to create someone else's home.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:5qNme.6151$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

You did an outdated kitchen style, not something current. You probably went with bisque appliances too. I would suspect you would sustain a loss. Oak cabinets are usually considered bottom grade, even if they're not. Bleached oak is so 80's it's not even funny. Consulting a knowledgable decorator or even looking at current style trends in the home magazines should have shown you this. And, a kitchen doesn't have to be "custom" to look nice and current in style. Stock cabinets, new appliances, and a fresh tile job can do the job inexpensivly and stylishly. That is, if you do choose the current styles.

Spending your money *wisely* on a kitchen remodel can reap great rewards.

Reply to
Sunflower

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:5qNme.6151$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

No act of kindness goes unpunished.

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Des Perado

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:5qNme.6151$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Many sellers make the same mistake. Care must be taken to not lose money on improvements that will not at least break even. When you examine the net gain, sometimes, it is just better to let well enough alone. You might toss a kitchen you abhor, but some buyer may adore.

There's no accounting for taste, and if the buyer doesn't like it, let them do it to their tastes. Many buyers don't mind redoing things that are outdated. But they do mind ripping out new construction that they have just paid for.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So what's a current kitchen style?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I never hear full kitchen remodels paying off. Usually refacing is the way to go if fixing up just for a sell

Reply to
c_kubie

Kitchen was (is) top notch color and style picked by a 'Fluffer' or interior designer with excellent creds. Featured bevelled glass and is considered very high demand for this area and not 'outdated' as others mentioned. Sat thru the open house and heard the oohs and ahs when people saw what was there. This thing was a work of art and still lost me money, just want to want others not to waste time and money by listening to designers and salespeople.