Cultured marble walls above fiberglass Jacuzzi bathtub

The installation specs for Jacuzzi tubs, e.g., Luxura 5 or 530, say:

"The rim of the tub is not desighed to support weight. If finish material is to overlap or contact the bath the added weight must be fully supported."

These particular tubs have an integral tile flange, so it's pretty clear that tile can be brought down to the rim. I intend to us a cultured marble, which is held in place with adhesive to the wall. I am wondering if that adhesive will take enough of the weight of the panel to keep the tube rim from bearing too much load.

I talked to a tech support person at Jacuzzi who basically said I had nothing to worry about. But that was just a voice over the telephone, and if the tub cracked they might just point to the spec and walk away from the problem.

So, what is common practice when using cultured marble over fibreglass tubs? Do you have to use some type of J-channel to support it?

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man

How is it putting any weight on ithe tub if it's glued to the wall?

The wall is holding the marble up, not the tub. You'll be fine.

Reply to
John Harlow

Tile Council of America calls for 1/4" flexible joint between tub & tile - as I remember it. Flange would act as backer for the sealant. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Call the guy that's going to pour your cultured marble and ask him how to do it. Imagine he'd stand it on your tub edge with some spacer(s) under it to lift it up to the tile flange height before rocking the slab into place sticking it to the mastic on the wall.

Reply to
bumtracks