Craftsman lawn mower has bent crank shaft

I will not comment on any 'moral' issues here, but this is excellent advice when trying to repair almost anything, be it DIY or having it done by someone else.

Reply to
gbravy

I must be missing somthing here... I've never seen a Craftsman mower with anything but a Tecumseh engine on it. Are you SURE it's a Briggs?

I haven't looked at Craftsman power equiptment for a while, so I may well be wrong. It would be wonderful if they started using Briggs enignes, as that is one of the major reasons that their stuff sucks...

Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

Yes, the primary motors are all Briggs and Stratton. They also sell some with Hondo motors in them.

Bruce

very common with briggs. unfortunately sears orders special engines for their equipment, the briggs shafts bend just as easy. i've got three pieces of a briggs crank sitting on a shelf. poor guy hit a brick with the mower and the crank broke in 3 pieces. it just depends on how it was hit. i used to work on 20 year old techumsehs all day long. trust me all engines are going to shit. even the honda consumer models. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

replying to Henry77, Ma'am wrote: Sears will blame the owner and not look the other way. My Craftsman self-propelled blew up and I was blamed. I was simply pushing it uphill. I inspected the area at the time of the explosion...Nothing! Still, I was told I hit something and bent the crankshaft. Must be the go-to excuse for nonrepair.

Reply to
Ma'am

Crankshafts do NOT bend themselves. If the crank bent, someone hit something. There is NO other explanation.

You MIGHT have a crank BREAK wthout hitting something - due to something like a HUGE inbalance causing stress buildup - but it takes a large diect force to bend a steel crankshaft.

Reply to
Clare Snyder