Painting tub wall kit

We are looking at selling our house in the next couple of months. The tub wall kit is quite old and has many stains on it. Replacing it before selling the house is out of the question.

Last summer, many home renovation centers were selling aerosol paint that was said to adhere well to plastics. In fact, it was marketed as a way to give new life to PVC patio chairs and tables. I am thinking about painting the tub walls with this new paint so that it looks better than it does right now.

Anybody tried this new paint on patio sets ? If so, how well did it work ? Is there any other kind of paint that could do the same job ? Remember, I'd like to keep the cost as low as possible. Also, I live in the province of Québec so if you are refering to some kind of "regional" product, that might be a problem for me.

Thanks !

Jean-Pierre AKA Fireman

Reply to
Fire Man

I don't think your wall kit is likely to be PVC....more likely moulded fiberglass often with gel coat. I sure wouldn't paint the whole thing without testing a small patch first for a few weeks.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Well as far as gel coat is concerned, there isn't any. There is really a dull surface. The plastic/fiberglass used is really soft. Much like the one used in patio sets. This is a cheap 15-20 yo tub kit. You can see and feel the adhesives used to make the kit stick to the wall.

I will definitely try a small patch first.

Fireman

Reply to
Fire Man