Craftsman DYT4000 help

We have a 2004 Craftsman DYT4000 tractor. I am running into a problem starting it up. The first thought was to replace the battery which is now brand new. Still nothing. Then we changed the starter and still nothing. And now we just swapped out the solenid and still nothing. It will turn over when we pull out the spark plug but will not start. Does anyone have an idea on what else to do next. Any help will be much apprecciated.

Thank You

Reply to
jtw696

Engines need fire and fuel. Memorize that. Check for a spark by holding the plug wire 1/4" away from the plug. If you have a spark check for fuel. Uually a bad plug will leave you with a fuel odor at the exhaust indicating that fuel is not a problem. Replace the air filter and try starting it. Replace the spark plug, ditto. Another trick for stubborn starting is to take off the air filter and spray a shot of starting fluid in the intake. If it starts and runs and quickly stops it may be a fuel pump problem. These are all common ways of dealing with difficult engines. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Check all cable connections and ensure they are tight. It's wise to do this before replacing so many parts, that may not be bad.

-- Oren

Oren

I agree with Oren that you may have a bad cable or a poor connection. Also check the grounding to be sure that the engine block and the starter motor are well connected electrically to the chassis.

Dave .

Reply to
David Martel

Seldom have I found a poor ground to the frame. Most poor connections are at the starter. I've seen damage to a starter when the cable was not carefully installed... twisted the thingy-ma-bob where the cable connects.

Clean cables and connections are my first test...for a start test...

-- Oren

Oren

Could be the seat safety switch.....?

Reply to
Jackson

------------------------------------- terryboudreaux If this engine is a 18.5 intek, it could be valve adjustment may be too loose. causing compression release not to function, and engine to only make a partial turn than stop. easyfix good luck!

Reply to
terryboudreaux

I had the same problem. Appears you need to adjust the valves, two overhead valves. I've adjusted mine a couple of times when this happended, and it cured it. Some folks recomment adjusting them every year. Hope it solves your problem.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Smitty

Smitty wrote the following:

Original message posted May 12, 2007

Reply to
willshak

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: Looks like you've done everything but adjust your valves, they are OHV, one exhaust and one intake. Some folks adjust there's each season. It's easy, takes about 10-15 minutes. I went through all the things you did. Solved the starting problem by adjusting the OHV's. Hope this helps

Reply to
Smitty