CPVC pipe, what is that?

Walter,

You can get a transition fitting (brass/CPVC) at Lowes. Look for this one as it will fit on the relief valve, and then pipe the rest of the distance with CPVC.

See JPG:

Oren

Why would you need that? All that should be needed is a male (or female) CPVC adapter. Screw rights into (or onto) the the relief valve.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I saw that "regular" one today at HD. Had to dig for it though.

S. Barker

They also make a "heavy duty" PVC only in a black can. The main difference is it has a longer "open time" so you have time to goo up a big pipe, a fitting and get them all together before the cement skins. The opposite of that is the blue stuff (wet and dry) that sets up in a couple seconds. Guys who work with PVC a lot like it because you can turn the water on in a couple minutes but you can't screw around once you put the glue on the pipe. The swimming pool guys I see double team it when they are working 2" or 3" pipe. One guy glues and one handles the pipe.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yep, it is _fast_. After years of using the regular, I bought a can of the blue. Won't again. I have already had one joint failure in my irrigation line due to it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Odd. I had to get a bottle of wood glue. Hit the local lumberyard (only 2000 pop. here so stores are small), then the local ACE hardware. While there I checked the plastic cements. Both had a limited selection (about 2 doz cans total on the shelf). I had to do some digging to find the 'multi-use' cans in both stores. Really had to check labels before I found the one that was good for ABS, PVC and CPVC.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

and a union so you can R&R the water heater without cutting, if such is important to you.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Ah yes, I overlooked that. Of course considering teh quick and cheap 'chop and splice' with plastic pipe...

Unions and old houses. When I replaced the pipe in this house I had to start from the fartherest point from the entry point and undo it. there wasn't a union anyplace.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not glue rated only for PVC or ABS. The glue has to be rated for CPVC to give good glue joints on CPVC. They sell universal glue for all three plastics, but CPVC glue will work on PVC and ABS as well.

I know somebody who used ABS glue on PVC and ended up with a leak that caused the foundation to sag.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Here's Oatley's information page about their plastic pipe cements:

I see only two products approved for CPVC, their All Purpose Cement and their CPVC Medium Orange Cement. Please show us which of their cements with "PVC" in their names are recommended by Oatley for use on CPVC.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I found CPVC pipe at Lowe's that was compatible with PVC fittings, but I found no CPVC fittings there. The Lowe's employee suggested using the PVC fittings, even though I repeatedly said that I was going to run hot water through it.

Another time, I couldn't find any copper fittings at Lowe's (they weren't located next to the steel and PVC ones) and a person who had worked in the plumbing dept. for three years asked another employee, "Do we have something called 'copper fittings'?"

Then there was the Lowe's employee who insisted that type N mortar was as strong as type S. I went to Ace hardware, and when I asked about the difference between their Super Mix and Super Mortar, they not only gave me the right information but also told me the PSI rating of each type of mortar. Also the price was no higher than Lowe's price.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

metal cutting blades in the sawsall work great for that dilemma.

Unions and old houses. When I replaced the pipe in this house I had to start from the fartherest point from the entry point and undo it. there wasn't a union anyplace.

Harry K

Reply to
S. Barker

their not the same size anyway...

S. Barker

this one.

S. Barker

snipped-for-privacy@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com...

At least none that I have ever seen.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No you didn't. They're not the same size.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They fit the cream colored CPVC that was in stock there.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly