Cost for patching carpet?

Before I call the local vendors, I'm looking to see if this is an idea even worth chasing, or if I should just live with it until such time as I feel rich enough to replace this carpet and the adjacent kitchen and powder room vinyl, which is also rather tired. (Since it would be a lot easier to do it all at once.)

Anyway- 16x30 family room addition, with oatmeal color berber carpet. Previous owner had an oopsie by fireplace, and there is about a 2'x2' square with burn and melt marks (which they hid under a hearth rug). In addition, furnace company made an oopsie putting in the new HVAC, and put a register in front of the wrong panel of the slider. They moved it, but the carpet hole is still there. And the largest bad spot, about 2x6, is where the wall furnace used to be, with a visible notch there, and a large 'pulled' bare spot nearby. (That one was preexisting). Furnace company offered to pay for the repair of their mistake, and did send a carpet company out, but they never got back with an estimate, and the estimator seemed flakey enough that I'm not that anxious to have them do the work anyway. And since their tiny oopsie would only be a fraction of the bill, I never pursued it.

Yeah, I know wall-to-wall replacement is the proper cure (since there is no hardwood underneath like in the original part of the house). But after laying out around 15 large on this house already this year, I'm feeling cheap. And I do have enough matching remnant carpet from the original install to make grain-matched patches. (Of course, the whole carpet would need to be cleaned, since the remnants are visibly cleaner.)

Being a guy living alone, I'm not too worried about the patches matching exactly- I just want the room to be presentable. And when I sell in a few years, I'd just as soon give a carpet allowance, so buyer can pick their own colors. But I also don't wanna spend a sigificant fraction of replacement cost on a 'temporary' repair. I estimate 16-20 feet of seaming. I assume some sewing would be involved, not just carpet tape? What kind of money would I be looking at? And (mismatched dirt levels and crushed pile aside), just how hideous would it look? Is this a fifty-buck job, or a 300 dollar job? If the latter, I'd be more inclined to put it toward new carpet. And how much does 20? yards of cheap-but-durable carpet go for these days, installed? In the Sunday ads I see anywhere from 20 bucks a yard to OhMyGawd.

(and before anybody suggests it, Pergo is out of the question. I detest fake wood.)

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

[snip]

I helped my cousin lay carpet for two summers about 30 years ago. Most of the seaming was done entirely with hot-melt tape. The carpet was double-cut (one piece laid on top of the other, both cut with the same stroke) for a near-perfect match, then tape laid under it. A seaming iron was run over the tape by one worker, and the other followed behind to press the carpet into the hot adhesive. I don't recall ever being called back to repair a seam.

It sounds as though the areas to be patched aren't high-traffic, so a patch might be satisfactory. As to the cost....I would guess that it'd be closer to $100 than to $300. You might be able to get a rough estimate --- probably all that you need to make the decision --- simply by measuring the areas to be patched and bringing the measurements to the carpet layer.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Then use engineered wood as it is real wood. Patch will probably look like crap no matter what they do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have read enough of your posts to think you might be able to do this yourself. As least well enough to get by. That or throw rugs would be my advice.

If not depending on where you are, if you can find anyone who even wants the job 100-200 $. All the carpet guys I know HATE Berber type carpets. I seriously doubt that you will be pleased with the results no matter who does them. They are very hard to seam even when it is factory edge to factory edge.

You should be able to find a "cheap" carpet that will hold up fairly well to a single user for 9-10 bucks a yard. Here cheap padding adds $2 and install $3. BTW 16x30 equals 54 square yards (16*30=480/9).

Best wishes.

Reply to
Colbyt