rug mat markings on hardwood floor

We rearranged the furniture and decided to take up the oriental rug and mat underneath it from the hardwood floor in our apartment. It has been in place almost exactly one year. We bought the mat at a locally owned/now defunct home improvement store, label said it was for putting an area rug on the floor (as opposed to over carpeting) - can't recall exactly whether it said for hardwood floor or not, I assume it would have or we likely would not have bought it. I also remember the clerk in the store pointing it out to us as being what we were looking for, not that that always means you're getting the right thing. Anyway, pulled it up yesterday and the pattern of the mat is visible on the floor. It was a sort of thick foamy mat with a three dimensional texture to it, and has left a sort of honeycomb type of pattern on the floor. Any ideas on removing it? We should be closing on a house before the end of the summer and I'd like to get the deposit back!

-Karen-

Reply to
dkhedmo

Someone may have a some better ideas, but here are mine.

First test any idea you plan on using in a small out of the way spot.

Basic floor cleaner Basic floor polish Basic floor wax Very fine steel wool. You may need a floor machine if it is a big area, so see the test second line above. Refinish the floor.

Since you don't know what kind of finish is now on the floor using various solvents could be a problem. They may work well, but as above see the test second line above

Reply to
Joseph Meehan