Cordless Dustbuster Won't Charge

Well, at least you got a couple of years of use out of it. Mine is only 3 months old and does the same thing. So much for Black & Decker I guess I will go back to Dirt Devil.

Reply to
Robin K

Cheap batteries are shot. Replace them or send the unit to a rebuilder. They will use a better battery too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yah, I did that in my dustbuster and while I was at it, I added one extra cell ... made a big difference in power. Eventually replace it with a Dirt Devil. But Right now I have a buster by Electrolux which nests into a cordless floor sweeper. This thing really sucks. It uses a

12 volt battery and by itself as a buster, you can actually feel it pull on the palm of you hand, not like any of the others. As a floor sweeper it works great; has a rotating brush on the bottom with some LED headlights.
Reply to
Art Todesco
9/2/03donald girod wrote: "It's just failure of the nicad batteries due to leaving them continually on charge. This is just not the way to make them last but it is what B&D recommends, probably so that the batteries fail early. You can replace the batteries for approximately the cost of a new dustbuster.

I thought by at least 15 years ago they would have devised a way for the charger base to stop charging automatically, even while the dust-buster(or cordless phone, or whatever) was on the base.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I have a dirt devil extreme I occasionally use. I only charge it a few hours occasionally. Got to be at least 6 years old.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Gz:

If you are good at remembering to remove from base after so many hours that is good.

Me, not so much.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I move it out so I trip over it !!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The charger should shut off when the batteries are charged.

Reply to
Horace. LaBadie

Maybe in a perfect world... The charger should also maintain a float charge and trickle the battery to maintain a perfect state of 100% efficiency so he can use that dust buster to clean out 50 cars before it needs to be recharged, But it doesn't! Which is why almost every Ni-Cad rechargeable appliance/tool I've ever seen cautions against leaving on the charger more than a set period of time, recommends not topping it off after each use, etc.

Ni-Cads are old technology and are notorious for taking on a "memory" and being short-lived. Newer tech (Li-Ion) = Better Service

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

replying to rschng, MarilynKamp wrote: I just did a search on this because I'm having the same problem. There should be a recall on this. I have only had it about 6 months!

Reply to
MarilynKamp

Marilyn-

I have the same problem. The DustBuster is left plugged-in, so the batteries are always on charge. Unfortunately it over-charges the batteries, and they eventually go bad.

I got tired of replacing the expensive batteries, and plan to donate the DustBuster. It was replaced with a DeWalt corded/cordless Wet-Dry Vacuum.

The DeWalt uses a battery that requires a separate charger. It is heavier than the DustBuster but works much better. I think DeWalt has a smaller, lighter model, but do not know how it compares.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

replying to Jim Yanik, tina gorzalski wrote: i leave my dust buster on for 24/7 and has no charge after using for a few seconds. bad battery since i bought 6 months ago. going to get a shark

Reply to
tina gorzalski

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 20:14:01 +0000, tina gorzalski wrote in

Built-in rechargeable batteries are designed for a limited lifetime. When they no longer charge, you are supposed to throw them away and buy a new one.

Pretty smart marketing.

Reply to
CRNG

replying to jriegle, randy wrote: If you bought it years ago it probably does still work but if you just bought It

6 months ago like I did and kept it on the charger whenever is wasn't in use it probably won't work because they make so much cheap throw away crap these days
Reply to
randy

replying to rschng, Alidon wrote: Omg I was about to throw it out but I decided to Google the issue. . After reading your post I checked the contact area in the base, and it was dirty with some sticky stfff. So just cleaned the area with a bounty towel and water! Hallelulia!!! It's charging again.

Reply to
Alidon

Hmm. Next time, try using some crc electrical contact cleaner. It works wonders. :)

Reply to
Diesel

replying to CRNG, Modern Consumer wrote: Our dust buster remains plugged in 24/7. After 2 months the charge holds about

30 seconds then dies. Seems like it should last a bit longer than that
Reply to
Modern Consumer

Wouldn't be a problem if you'd quit dawdling and vacuum stuff up quick...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Nice box, terrible shelf life of battery, a loser of a product

Reply to
brownappraisals

replying to rschng, ken wrote: My (dustbuster 12 v) is +/- less than a year's old has similar issues with charger issues) but sort of the second bad experience I have it elsewhere - but a Hoover brand rather than B & D (pretty similar). It goes dead after less than a minute. Any suggestions as to how it might work or other than throwing it out and never buying a B&D product, or similar, ever again', Get in touch with me on if might be a general issue to consider a class action procedure.

Reply to
ken