container ships

On those container ships, like the one stuck in the Suez Canal, do they ship anything below decks anymore?

What do they do with all the space?

Is the deck at the same height as the top of the hull or is it like a bowl now?

It seems like that one, the Ever Something, was top-heavy and a good wave would make the whole thing tip over, or some of the containers fall off. No?

Reply to
micky

Good narrative

Less good but may interest you.

micky

Yes.

Fill it up with containers, of course.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Cruise ships look top heavy too but this is carrying tons of freight in those containers.

Inside though, is a 78,000 horsepower diesel engine that turns the prop at 79 RPM at top speed. I don't know how many inches per gallon of fuel it takes.

What is the MPG of a cruise ship?

0.004 mpg Assuming an efficiency of about 30% means the boat is burning roughly 1.84 gallons of fuel per second, or 6640 gallons per hour. Since the ship's cruising speed is 23.7 knots, or 27.3 mph, the cruise ship's fuel efficiency is roughly 0.004 mpg.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You two have convinced me that it's No.

Wow.

Reply to
micky

The ship was rescued before you posted this thread.

Reply to
bruce bowser

What a load of codswallop. They remove hatch covers, load containers to the covers, then refit the hatch covers and load more containers on top of the covers. Containers below deck are only secured side to side. They are not secured vertically. If the ship is an all container ship, the hold(s) will have container guides into which the containers are stacked. I'd suspect most are these days.

More codswallop. Ballast reduces the amount of tonnage you can carry. If you need ballast for stability, you carry less tonnage. There goes your efficiency and *profits*. What you will find is that the heaviest containers go below the hatch covers, lighter ones above. That provides the *stability*. You simply cannot have a top heavy container ship. It will be dreadfully unstable in a storm if no loading is below the hatch covers.

Common sense isn't clear to you.

Codswallop again. Ballast tanks are for when the ship is running very light or *empty*.

Reply to
Xeno

They fill the space below decks with the *heavier* containers.

Depends on the design.

No. Container ships cannot be top heavy - they will tip if they are.

Container ships, like any other kind of ships, are loaded from the bottom of the holds upwards. That's the way it has always been, that's the way it will always be.

Reply to
Xeno

Well, yes. There actually are laws that make this so.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Yes, the laws of physics in particular.

Reply to
Xeno

Thanks for displaying your total inability to admit you are wrong. ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Poor Rod, poor embarrassed Rod! ;-)

Reply to
Xeno

Rod Speed's standard response when *he* got flushed down the toilet. It's projection writ large!

Reply to
Xeno

Embarrassed that you were utterly and totally wrong on how container ships were loaded Rod? Made a right old fool of yourself, eh?

Reply to
Xeno

No point in going on. Everybody knows that Rodney never admits defeat. Never.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The graphic images I posted show clearly where *you* got it all wrong.

That's why you go into defeatist mode and wipe my posted info.

Sadly for you, the info I posted has been *seen*.

You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad.

Reply to
Xeno

Yeah, and I'm embarrassed to say he is an Aussie.

Reply to
Xeno

Idlehands

That was interesting. Quite a few containers below deck.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All the way down to the bottom.

Reply to