container insulation

I want to make one room in my container for brewing beer. Basically either frame it in wood or metal framing, insulate, sheetrock. Has anyone done this type of project? Would I do better using foam? Fiberglass? Whatever?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A guy & I turned a mini-storage container into a temperature controlled room for test specimens (mostly for anchors in concrete or concrete cylinders).

We figured that a closed cell foam was the best bet. ....... not susceptible to moisture absorption. We framed it out using treated timber, foam insulation and green board.

It worked out fine.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Sheetrock can be called many things, including fire retardant, but insulator is not one of them.

Reply to
HeyBub

Steve, I would glue 2" or more extruded foam (pink or blue) directly to the container. If you need sanitation, glue FRP to the foam. If you plan on being able to hang things on the wall(s), this will not be a good solution.

Reply to
DanG

Put an ohmmeter across it. What does it read? ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm sorry. Would you please explain what it is that you are talking about?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Actually it DOES have insulation value. Not MUCH. but 0.9 per inch - better than any partical board, and about the same as hardwood.

Reply to
clare

HeyBub can be called many things, but a careful reader isn't one of them . . . (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Oh, I've been called many things, including the Best Lover in Texas. I don't mind.

The OP was asking about insulation. He suggested he was going to use sheetrock. The insulation value of sheetrock is pretty near zero (1`/2" = R

0.45). He could get three times the insulation of sheetrock by using 1/2" fiberboard.
Reply to
HeyBub

If that's the way it came across, then I miswrote it. I ASS-U-MEd that this being a home repair newsgroup that most people would recognize the time honored tradition of the sequence of framing, insulating, then sheetrocking. Apparently, some insist of everyone stating things PRECISELY EXACTLY right in every manner, although most of them do no such thing or even close in their own posts. Apparently, some do not recognize or know the sequence of such a project. And some are just spoiling for a fight over any nit they can pick.

And some are just stupid.

You can't fix stupid.

I talked to my resident contractor today, and he told me to furr out the walls with 2 x 4, then insulate with fiberglass, then sheetrock. (That includes mudding and taping for the clueless.) Then paint.

I was wondering if anyone had done this, and used foam. He said he had seen it done with foam, and that the foam turned black, almost to the point that it looked like it caught fire. I guess the foam gets pretty hot sitting right next to the metal.

So, thanks to all who had anything pertinent to contribute. And for the others, LOOK OUT, THERE'S A NIT ON YOUR CHIN!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No, the OP was NOT thinking of insulating with sheetrock - he was going to frame and insulate and cover with sheetrock.

Reply to
clare

Too funny! (but I really don't think you could)

Reply to
krw

No, you misinterpreted him. He clearly said he was going to "either frame it in wood or metal framing" then "insulate" and then "sheetrock." (I used "then" instead of a comma delimited list to make it more clear to you since you're still not "getting it.") You might have a case if he had written "insulate WITH sheetrock" but he didn't.

Doesn't matter what its R value is if he's not using it as a insulator.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Oh. Okay. I did misinterpret. I thought sheetrock was part of his insulation plan. I'm sorry I got everybody so exercised and upset.

As an act of contrition, I will contribute one KFC lunch deal to the local Salvation Army mission in my town. I'm sure they'll put it to good use, possibly as insulation.

Reply to
HeyBub

This is Usenet where no nit goes unpicked. It's kinda like chimps grooming each other. Eeiiiwu!

Possibly giving a homeless man a heart attack from KFC chicken isn't much of a mitzvah. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green