Gray water leachfield

I'm making a beer brewing room in one of my containers. I want to drain grey water (that with soaps, sanitizer, and a little organic matter) into a leachfield. There will be no septic tank because there will be no solids. I know people who have done this with RV's.

I am going to cautiously read up on my county's laws, but think I can put one in with little falderal in my very rural setting.

Anyone done this? Advice? Suggestions?

TIA

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

"Oren" wrote

What is that for?

Like

Reply to
Steve B

"Oren" wrote >>> Put a delimiter in your sig file...

I'm just going to trust you on this. Please let me know what you see, and if it is done right and working properly. I think I get it, but I have made that mistake before. Thanks for the help.

Now, any help on the greywater question?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The earth will heal itself, meanwhile the saved money could go to help find a cure for cancer, promote world peace, or subsidize the cowboy poetry contest.

Reply to
HeyBub

WTF, plants love grey water. putting it into the topsoil is the best thing that you could do. better there than into the bay where it can cause problems.

nate

Reply to
N8N

WTF, plants love grey water. putting it into the topsoil is the best thing that you could do. better there than into the bay where it can cause problems.

nate

Actually, I was going to run it to my medical marijuana plants. Strictly for medical, you understand....................

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

What total nonsense. It would not be poisoning the earth anymore than a similar leach field from the millions of homes with septic systems. As for graywater, in some areas it's actually OK and encouraged to capture and use for lawn watering and similar.

Reply to
trader4

I agree. My washing machine has been dumping out under my banana trees for 3 decades and they seem to love it. As long as the water is not draining directly into a waterway and you are not dumping any kind of persistent chemicals, I don't see a problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

Where are you located ?

Do your state regulations consider grey water to be sewage ?

Your county permitting process for installing a septic system would have to be followed, every state regulates this sort of thing...

It sounds as if you need to look into the state laws on this to see if grey water is considered sewage and would have to have the full gamut of pre-install permitting and soil perc testing before you can start digging...

It also sounds to me like you want to carefully consider where you locate this grey water discharge system as if it is too close to your septic system discharging all of the soaps, sanitizers and the like can affect your black water septic system as those sorts of chemicals tend to kill the bacteria in the septic system which process the waste...

I have not done this before but have observed the process through attending hearings where septic system designs were considered and approved after hearing the reports from the perc testing and the hydrologist's report on the conditions of the water table and aquifer in the area...

Advice: Seek out an expert in the design and permitting in septic systems in your state -- you might be an early adopter of a grey water system... In no case should you be digging trenches and putting a system in by yourself without a permit... YOU may know what that drain should be used for but will future owners or users of your property know that your homemade and un-permitted grey water system doen't have a septic tank and therefore shouldn't have certain things drained into it ?

Suggestion: Same as advice only with the addition that you should seek out environmental type water conservationists in your area and see what advice they have, what licensed experts they recommend you get design advice/assistance from and perhaps they might know of how to apply for special permitting...

Good Luck...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Check county codes for installing a dry well.

JImmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Hold your phone calls, folks. We do have a winner.

Thanks, Oren. My sediments exactly. I was asking more along the lines of construction techniques, but guess everyone went off on a legal tangent. Forgiveness is easier to get than approval.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yep. You've got to consider the downstream (no pun intended) consequences.

Just last year, Seattle finally got with the program and quit using salt on its icy roadways after someone pointed out that the salt would pass through the storm sewer system into Pugent Sound.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's how the washing machine in my grandparents house was plumbed as well. Dumped on the gournd. That might be the answer. A leechfield for the water used to wash out beer vats might just be over engineering this problem. Just dump it on the ground.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

What? They thought they were changing the salinity of the Pacific ocean? I would be a lot more worried about the oil that runs off the roads.

Reply to
gfretwell

Harrumph!

In the great crusade to save the planet, avoiding road salt being dumped in the Pacific is roughly the same magnitude as erecting wind turbines.

It's for the children.

Reply to
HeyBub

quoted text -

First, while septic systems break down human and other organic waste, I seriously doubt they are going to break down many harmful chemicals. If I pour benzene or paint contain lead down a toilet, explain how a home septic system is going to break that down.

Second, the issue in question is for grey water from a room used to make beer. Exactly what does that have to do with harmful chemicals? Apparenty you are unaware that some municipalities are encouraging the capture and use of grey water for things like lawn watering. my toilet, tell us how that is going to be broken dow

Reply to
trader4

Typical. The guy has some basic grey waste water from a small room where he makes beer. And you make a big deal out of it. I suppose instead of using it to water some grass or plants he should hire an environmental engineer.

Reply to
trader4

Because people can be so damed AR these days. Inspectors lose all common sense and future home buyers are just looking for an excuse to deduct something off the cost. if you screw up. In Fl you can pay for soil test and possible cleanup if you put in an unapproved dry well.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Putting in a dry well is the frkin' simple part...a hole in the ground with rocks in it. The trouble you can get in to if its regulated can be a real PITA. You will wish like hell you sought approval if it is ever questioned because the burden of proof will be on you to prove you did no harm and that can be expensive.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

You gotta love it. Wind turbines spinning, chopping up birds by the millions. First, the required beacons atop the turbines flash and disorient or blind the birds. Some see it as the rising sun and go right to it. This phenomenon happens on high towers a lot because of their REQUIRED lighting.

It's as funny as when they turned loose that seal they spent $250,000 on cleaning it up after the oil spill. Lights, camera, buses of school children, news crews...............

cue the seal ..........

turned loose .................

cue the cameras .........

cue the screaming applauding children ............

cue the killer seal ...................

You guessed it.

Oh, I forgot ...........

cue the screaming running terrified children ..............

They'll get over it.

Eventually.

Lots of expensive therapy.

Steve