Gray water leachfield

Evidently, then, the mayor of Seattle is an idiot because that's the reason he gave for discontinuing roadway salt.

And these streams and lakes empty into what exactly?

Right-wing wackos didn't say anything. It was the mayor of Seattle. Being a Democrat, I don't THINK he's was a right-wing wacko. The policy of avoiding salt is decades old, but was recently reversed by former mayor Nickels in

2009. He lost his re-election bid anyway.
Reply to
HeyBub

Bull...

When you dump something on the ground, it has to leach through the topsoil and subsoil layers before it can get into the aquifer...

When you dig a below the ground leaching field, you provide a direct to the water table means of access for whatever you are discharging...

Something which may not be harmful in the concentrations which survive the UV exposure when they are flowing across the surface of the ground and whatever portions successfully penetrate the layers of soil between daylight and groundwater could potentially pollute the aquifer when you directly inject them into the ground...

This is why septic and drainage systems require permits and hearings... You aren't the only one using the ground water in your area -- but if you want to create your own "plume" of something and become one of the EPA's most wanted -- go for it... The lawsuits from everyone who owns land within a mile of yours and alphabet soup government agencies you have never heard of before won't cost that much, will they ?

Dry wells are in many places restricted to rainwater use only...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

I bought a house. Included was about 50 gallons of waste oil, 5 gal. buckets of roofing butyl, and assorted 5 gal. buckets of gook. I took the oil to the box store that sells auto parts. Have to have a receipt that says you bought 5 gal. of oil THERE in order to turn in the 5 gal. of used oil. Called JiffyLube. No can do. Called the landfill. They have an "amnesty" day ONCE A YEAR where they will take anything no questions asked. The next one is this spring.

And they wonder why people take this crud and dump it in the desert.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote in news:sp4Zp.33143$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

You should have called the real estate agent who handled the sell. That house was not delivered in the "broom clean" state it was supposed to.

Reply to
Han

The law of unintended results states: Whenever a government gets involved with any human activity, it can always be counted on to turn it into a complete cluster coitus. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oh yea, I hope you didn't give them your name and address or any way to find you. You may have a group of armed feds show up at your door to take you away for having an unauthorized toxic storage site. The chances are the government would take your home and property. I know that many people would think it paranoid but remember all the American citizens who've been killed by government agents over some asinine law. I don't tell anybody anything when it comes to a possible violation of any government regulation or law. I will inquire about it or research it discreetly, especially if there is some reward program in existence for turning in violators. TELL NO ONE!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

DId you check in with the County and/or City? Both in my area have haz mat disposal areas that are relatively easy to find and have decent hours (even Sat. morning).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Some people think it is beneficial for the storm-sewer system to be "lubricated."

Reply to
HeyBub

It should have been in the sales contract. The hazmat stuff should have been identified, in particular.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That would have helped, but is not really necessary IMNSHO. Probably too late now, but the real estate agent has an address, I bet ... I would still use it, but then, I'm (luckily) not the OP.

Btw, here in Bergen county, NJ, the haz people collect at least quarterly, so I would probably have waited for a collection date and location.

Reply to
Han

That certainly depends on the jurisdiction. When we sold the previous house, such things were enumerated in the sales contract. No big deal. Just $$.

In VT, they would collect at the dump (transfer station, really) quarterly but household quantities of hazmat stuff could be dropped off at their offices pretty much anytime, six days a week (there were odd hours of operation). They actually had a pretty good system. One of the only things they did that was worthwhile. We lived in NY before that. They had *no* means of getting rid of any household waste, including appliances and mattresses, other than dumping them on a country road.

It's even better here in AL, though. Just set it by the curb and it's gone on Wednesday (appliances cost a couple of bucks).

Reply to
krw

"Would" have waited? I still have the crud, and I WILL wait until I can properly dispose of it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Steve B" wrote in news:x8fZp.2283$_q1.1444 @news.usenetserver.com:

Good for you!! Whereabouts are you?

Reply to
Han

Utah.

Reply to
Steve B

At least that's what they want you to think.

Reply to
HeyBub

They burn the trash (and the recycle) here in a waste to energy incinerator. I imagine a little oil in there will just make the fire a little hotter for a second.

Reply to
gfretwell

Do the math. There is no point of bringing in air that is anything less than 80 degrees or thereabouts to make it feel "cool". The containers absorb and radiate a lot of heat from their steel after being in direct sunlight for 14 hours or so. A squirrel cage would simply move warm/hot air around. I have had interior temperatures of 135 degrees, with outside temps at 108.

We are finishing putting the trusses on. Lots of attachment points, plus a superstructure in the middle that doubles as a hoist. When we deck it out, it may still be hot enough to try the water idea thing, but I'm sure that is the way I will go. Then an evaporative cooler for each container, vented to outside.

I once had a 1400 sf workshop for my business. The AC unit could not cool down all the steel in there without running 24/7. So, I got one of the roll arounds. But then, taking inside humid air, and trying to evaporate water with it isn't efficient, and made it as humid as Houston inside the shop.

Time and experimentation will tell. I'm going to insulate a room within the container with some very good insulation, and put a window unit in there for brew space. I only need to keep it at 75 for a week or so, and that can be done with any small 110v. air conditioner, even the smallest. 640 CUBIC feet at most.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Any practical way to shade the containers? Speaking of squirrel cage fans, until my son picked this up for 5 bucks at a rummage sale, I didn't know how neat they are.

This little sucker really pushes some air. About 3 times as much as a similar powered "normal" box fan. He uses it for working on cars and I've been using it to dry the basement after getting flooded. Ther'e even better Lasko branded fan like this.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Apparently, you do not live in my hood. Leave a milk jug labeled "old oil" next to the recycling bin, and you will return to find same.

The next amnesty day is in October.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Some say most "problems" in society are the result of failed, upstream, liberal "solutions" to other problems (which are still problems).

Reply to
HeyBub