Concrete Stain

I have an area around my pool that is looking worn. The pool is almost 20 = years old and so is the deck. I have used concrete stain before on things = that were in sheltered areas - but I am a little reluctant to try to use it= here without talking to someone who has actually done it. I know there is= an additive I buy to put in with the stain so it will make it skid proof. = But I've never actually seen any concrete after that has been added. Does= it work? Don't want to slip down out there. I would like to stain the ar= ea a pale beige color. I patched some small cracks in the cement and it dr= ied dark gray. Also have places where water dripped down and ate away the = cement a little ... hoping to cover all this up. Anybody here used it?

Reply to
Dottie

20 years old and so is the deck. =A0I have used concrete stain before on t= hings that were in sheltered areas - but I am a little reluctant to try to = use it here without talking to someone who has actually done it. =A0I know = there is an additive I buy to put in with the stain so it will make it skid= proof. =A0But I've never actually seen any concrete after that has been ad= ded. =A0Does it work? =A0Don't want to slip down out there. =A0I would like= to stain the area a pale beige color. =A0I patched some small cracks in th= e cement and it dried dark gray. =A0Also have places where water dripped do= wn and ate away the cement a little ... hoping to cover all this up. =A0Any= body here used it?

I use actual solvent based sealer on a stamped concrete pool deck and patio and slipping isn't an issue. And that leaves a shiny, glossy finish. So stain shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
trader4

I used H&C concrete stain from SW, on my front stoop & steps. I put the additive in, which is basically sand. It's held up well. In fact after about 6 years, think I'm going to change the color of the stain this coming summer.

Reply to
ed curry

years old and so is the deck. I have used concrete stain before on things that were in sheltered areas - but I am a little reluctant to try to use it here without talking to someone who has actually done it. I know there is an additive I buy to put in with the stain so it will make it skid proof. But I've never actually seen any concrete after that has been added. Does it work? Don't want to slip down out there. I would like to stain the area a pale beige color. I patched some small cracks in the cement and it dried dark gray. Also have places where water dripped down and ate away the cement a little ... hoping to cover all this up. Anybody here used it?

I used acid stain on my driveway almost 10 years ago and it is still doing OK. I don't remember anything making it slippery. The sealer I used was a penetrating sort of thing, not the glossy stuff you see on floors and it pretty much just looked like concrete.

gfretwell