Computer idiot

[snip]

People often don't pay attention to what they're doing (like that finger on the kill button). I knew someone who insisted his apartment had self locking doors. He failed to notice that every time he opened the door to go outside he put his thumb in the middle of the knob, pushing the lock button.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Yes. I had a bad USB port too.

Also, of the times I've needed to restore from a backup only a few of those have been because of hardware failure, It's usually software failure, which may not be apparent until after making a backup. I've needed that older backup a few times.

BTW, I have has a failed HD. I was glad to have a COMPLETE backup, not just the (currently useless) personal data that some people recommend.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The definition of leading edge is "bleeding edge" - and the definition of a "pioneer" is the guy laying in the dirt with a knife or arrow in his back.

Reply to
clare

Not very likely. Even a 25% improvement in processing speed at this level is not something that will 'jump out at you".

The difference between 1/2 the blink of an eye and 1/4 of the blink of an eye is not noticeable. (and that's a 100% improvement!)

When you get into really intensive applications, yes, there is a (barely) noticeable improvement.

Reply to
clare

Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

That's good news to me - now I can spend those bucks on a spinnaker for my itty-bitty sailboat.... -)

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

In the case of the lawn mower, I suspect the kid didn't know it was a kill button.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got a kit with a spudger (I think) assortment to open cases. Before attempting anything like opening a tablet or a phone, I look for teardown videos on YouTube. It's amazing how much time and how many broken clips they've saved me. I can't remember what it was now but I declined to buy something because the teardown video made it clear that was a one-way process.

Reply to
Robert Green

I've even had people somehow think I was responsible for the NEXT computer they bought, too.

Reply to
Robert Green

You mean she hit her head too? (-{

Reply to
Robert Green

What did he think it was, a horn button?

Reply to
clare
[snip]

Could he have thought it was a "keep-alive" button? I think I would have tried it both ways, at least after the mower didn't start.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I used YouTube when I needed to open my iMac. I was really surprised at WHERE they hid those screws.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Could have been a keep alive button. I bought my son a push mower a while back and you have to pull back on a bar or the thing stops running. I was thinking it had to be pulled back to get it started, but could be wrong. Also thinking that you could not tie it back ot it would not start. I know that you do something to a lever and you have just a few seconds to pull the rope or it won't start and you have to do it again.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I repair a *lot* of different items. I'd be willing to bet many have

*no* teardown videos (because they are old, too unique, too high-end, etc.).

With patience, you can usually figure out hwo to get things apart, where screws and latches are likely to be hiding, etc.

But, when it's not your item, there are two things working against you:

- you're not keen on spending a lot of time on it

- you've a responsibility to not "break" it!

When it's *your* item, you can fudge each of these...

Reply to
Don Y

Don't know. I didn't ask, and it was 10 plus years ago.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have no idea what goes on in other peoples heads.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Old Macs (e.g., 68K) were delightfully easy to service -- typ *one* screw (or none!). And, none of this hidden crap.

But, then again, they were MUCH larger and not pressed to try to be sleek and sexxy...

Reply to
Don Y

Her next step would have been to hit me over the head with a club and drag me away.

Reply to
philo