I should be dead ... as a kid I did everything with mercury but eat it. My
dad collected the stuff from switches and I'd sneak out his container and
puddle some in my hands, coat coins with it, make arcs with it using my
train transformer, and gosh knows what else.
Later, I worked as an auto mechanic and we, on a regular basis, blew out the
brake and clutch housings with an air hose ... one could watch the asbestos
fibers dancing in the sun rays entering the shop windows. Oh, and we washed
our grimy hands and forearms with carbon tetrachloride.
DDT is banned and there is strong evidence that the ban has caused more harm
than good (especially in third-world countries).
Nuclear reactor development ground to a halt thanks to the media-hyped
I am a realist. Darn tootin' that we should constantly be on the lookout
for dangerous materials and chemicals: but, let's calm down a bit and choose
the important issues by using good science. The media hypes what sells. It
is not their problem. It is ours.
Plus nutcase consumers with no ability to measure risk,
or cope with their own damn problems.
While mercury vapor isn't the sort of thing you WANT
to be breathing, the amount in one freaking busted
lamp isn't going to hurt you much. The appropriate
response would have been to open the window and
park a fan in it for a few hours.
disposal of the bulbs in quantity is a problem, though.
You could dump them in a crusher and recover the
mercury, but that's probably not cost-effective.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.