Common property door lock keeps getting changed by one of the unit owners

On 9/21/2018 8:26 PM, 543dsa wrote: ...

Well, if you so sure there is no solution, then may as well just accept the situation.

The alternatives then would seem to be move or put up with it or hire some muscle and put a stop to it.

I would doubt there is _no_ legal recourse if the facts of the situation are as described.

Income is an asset; the owned property is an asset, undoubtedly he has others as well...

Reply to
dpb

On 9/21/2018 8:30 PM, 543dsa wrote: ...

It isn't _HIS_ stuff, ergo it's somebody else's (that may be a collective group including him, but it isn't his).

Pissing and moaning here even less...

Reply to
dpb

I was seeing if there is any MECHANICAL solution which would stop any locksmith changing the lock for him. No one has been able to suggest one and a locksmith I asked says that there is no way to do that.

Its worth trying cheap possibilitys like seeing if a stern letter from a solicitor can make him stop getting the lock changed, and since the mate of mine who is having the problem with the lock changer has a relative who is a solicitor, worth trying that for free.

The lock changer is just someone who works for a builder and it may well be possible to bluff him that way. Certainly worth trying when it doesn?t cost anything to try that.

Yeah, that?s a real possibility given that there are lots of other real problems with that block of units and it is now clear that strata titles have real downsides. Main problem is that we are having a full royal commission into the entire banking industry here and banks are much more cautious about who they lend to and the load for that flat was a bit dodgy like not mentioning that they have a 4 year old who is in child care 3 days a week. OTOH he starts school next year, in January, so that might not be a problem.

Cant remember if I told you that it isnt me personally with the problem, it?s a mate of mine, not me.

His wife wouldn?t be into that last approach and likely the strata committee wouldn?t be either. They are unlikely to put up with it either.

There certainly is, but it wouldn?t be cheap and there is no certainty that the lock changer wouldn?t just ignore a court order to stop changing the lock and the court certainly wont jail him if he ignores that. You have to get way out of line before they will jail you for ignoring a court judgement in a civil matter.

Not if he spends it as soon as he receives it and he likely is doing that given his income working for a building isnt likely to be that great and he will be paying off the mortgage on the flat and likely has a stupidly expensive flash car to pay off too. The banks here are very stupid about what they will lend people like that for stuff like new cars.

Its unlikely that he has much equity if any in his flat.

You don?t know that either. He may well be up to his eyeballs in debt and has a big debt on multiple cards.

The short story is that it would be stupid to spend lots of money on legal parasites in the hope that that will stop him changing the lock. There is no chance that successful legal action will see him forced to pay the legal costs in a civil matter like this one. Our legal system is nothing even remotely like yours.

Reply to
543dsa

dpb wrote

Nope, it doesn?t work like that here. It is in fact common property explicitly covered by the strata title legislation.

And the is no provision for CRIMINAL damage to common property under out strata title legislation.

The most that can happen with wilful damage to common property here is that the individual has to pay for that damage but changing the lock isnt damage under out strata title law.

But it isnt CRIMINAL DAMAGE as was originally claimed and you have carefully deleted from the quoting.

Havent done anything like that.

Fat lot of good that will do you, you stupid plonker.

Reply to
Josh Nack

[...]

Pretty much the norm in my area - there really isn't anything else we could reasonably do. Bins out on bin day, or earlier if you are going to be away.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Post a pic somewhere of the door and lock.

Reply to
Richard

No point. No normal door and lock can be made immune to a locksmith changing the lock.

Yes, its possible to make a bank vault door so hard to break into that the cops will show up before the lock is changed, but that isnt a viable approach with a basic balcony door and lock.

Reply to
543dsa

There is no confusion. uk.d-i-y is a UK oriented newsgroup.

I can assure you that in the UK intentionally placing chalk marks on a pavement is criminal damage. Removing a lock is also criminal damage.

I knew Australia is backward in many ways, but I find it difficult to understand that changing a lock on someone else's door isn't criminal damage in one way or another.

If it isn't then why not change his unit's door lock? Show him what its like not to have access to an area you feel entitled to.

But then we know you're Wodney using another sock puppet and so most likely, given your track record of an antisocial nature, to be the perpetrator in this case.

Reply to
Fredxx

You've admitted it has no consequence. So no problem.

Then his unit lock will be changed again.

Reply to
Fredxx

You're a troll, probably rod speed. Piss off.

Reply to
Richard

It isnt the only newsgroup, stupid.

Irrelevant when that isnt the country the door and lock are in.

Changing the lock isnt damage and it isnt criminal because there is no law in that jurisdiction that makes it a criminal offence to change the lock with common property.

Because it is illegal to that.

Irrelevant to what the law allows.

Reply to
Rod Speed

More of your bare faced lies.

Wrong, as always.

So the entire exercise is completely pointless, f****it.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Then you should have posted to multiple groups - stupid.

Then stop posting in a UK group.

As I said earlier, this is a UK group and there is no term such as common property.

Reply to
Fredxx

It is, he let his guard down a while ago. What a useless prick.

Reply to
Fredxx

You need to increase the sensitivity of your Wodney sensor. I already had this alias killfiled. But if he says something interesting (a monkey with a typewriter) others will comment on it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

corporation responsible for all we have been talking about. That group of owners is responsible for collecting assessments to maintain the common are a, establishing bylaws, etc. It also has the legal authority to levy fines and file liens against owners. As far as I can see, this whole discussion i s because 543dsa is not aware of the legal structure of his mates living qu arters.

Bingo.

I've posted several times now that there has to be legal documents for unit ownership which amounts to condos, that defines common areas, the rights and obligations of unit owners, sets up rules and regulations and THERE HAS TO BE A BOARD OF TRUSTEES responsible for managing the common area, providing for maintenance and replacement of them, and ENFORCING THE RULES AND REGULATIONS.

This moron hasn't read them, doesn't understand that, or is just a troll. He acts as if Australia is some backwater third world country, which has no law and just assembles condos or co-op type properties with no governing body, no way to collect fees and fines, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

The short story is you're either a moron or troll. Many people have explained to you that the board of trustees, or whatever you call the body elected by the unit owners to run the place, has the authority and the means to easily solve this. You act like this is unique, that condo/co-op type properties don't have unit owners or renters who violate all kinds of rules and regulations. It happens all the time. The squence, again, is the board sends a letter notification of the violation. If it continues, they set a hearing for the unit owner to appear before the board. They can then fine the owner for each incident, charge him for the cost of repairs. That becomes just like a monthly maintenance fee. What happens in this screwy place if unit owners just decide to not pay their monthly maintenance fee? Do you sit and whine about how nothing can be done? If they don't pay, a lien is placed on their unit, if the fees pile up, they will have to be paid, with interest, when the unit is sold. The board can also hire a debt collector or sue to collect. It's done all the time. And then you whine about the cost of legal action. You said there are 60 units. Can you do math? Starting legal action, you have 60 units paying for your lawyer. Who's going to pay for his lawyer? If this is real, then this guy is doing what he's doing because he knows you're a bunch of dumb wusses with no balls.

Reply to
trader_4

Then I suggest you lobby your representatives to change that, if it's true. You're telling me that a unit owner can take a rock over there and deliberately throw it through a window at the club house or go cut apart the pool pump and filter and it's legal? That no charges can be filed? Must be one screwed up, lawless place.

But that isn't the real problem. The real problem is the poster is either a troll or this place has a board that is totally incompetent and has no balls. Boards deal with all kinds of basic problems like this every day, with violation letters, hearings, fines, leans and legal collection action. He acts like it's his first rodeo.

Reply to
trader_4

I did and they are still in the group list, cretin.

Go and f*ck yourself, again.

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

Reply to