Cold house

Why does the temperature in my house drop to 68 degrees when the "Heat" setpoint on my programmable thermostat is set to 80 degrees?

Reply to
Bob

Doors and windows open? Forgot to pay the gas bill for 6 months? Electricity shut off? Busted furnace? Busted thermostat?

The possibilities are endless.

Reply to
trader_4

Didn't we do this a month ago?

Defective thermostat weak battery defective limit switch not programmed properly doaen oter potential issues

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doors and windows open? NO Forgot to pay the gas bill for 6 months? NO Electricity shut off? NO Busted furnace? The furnace eventually comes on after several hours Busted thermostat? ???

Reply to
Bob

Defective thermostat - ??? weak battery - NO (new batteries) defective limit switch - ??? not programmed properly - NO - Programmed per owners manual

Reply to
Bob

Your thermostat is located in a warm spot and you are taking the

68 degree reading in a cold spot. John T.
Reply to
hubops

The "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat is 68 degrees.

Reply to
Bob

The "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees at 7 AM and it was 68 degrees at 10:23 AM.

The furnace finally came on at 10:25 AM

Reply to
Bob

Call someone to get it serviced.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

At 7 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" on the thermostat was 68 degrees.

At 10 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" was still 68 degrees.

At 10:05 AM, the furnace (finally) turned on.

At 10:30 AM, the "Current room temperature indicator" is now 82 degrees.

Why did it take more than 4 hours for the furnace to come on?

Reply to
Bob

  1. you have it set to go to 80 at 10:00
  2. the t-stat's clock is set to wrong time of day
  3. the t-stat is defective
Reply to
Retired

Small switch on back (inside) of stat is set to "A". Slide to "B".

Reply to
Thomas

Retired: The thermostat's date and time are correct and the 'Heating' setpoint is 80 degrees for all times on all days.

Thomas: Looking inside the thermostat, I don't see a switch with "A" or "B" positions. Where is that switch?

Reply to
Bob

Mine has a set of DIP switches on the back, settings for gas/oil/electric heat, Celsius/Fahrenheit etc. Set them once on the original install and forget them.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

He already said the thermostat was reporting an ambient temperature of

68, so that wont be the problem. If he doesn't know how to pull the thermostat off the wall and short the correct pair of wires to see if the furnace fires, then he needs to call for service. He's in over his head.
Reply to
Mark Storkamp

My Totaline Single Stage Programmable Thermostat (5-2 Day) (Model P474-1035) does not those DIP switches.

Reply to
Bob

Turn your "Program Switch " off.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

John T,

I've moved the "Program Switch" to the "OFF" position.

Reply to
Bob

" Advanced Settings " on page 17 of the Owners Manual could also affect things - deadband and cycles per hour ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

+1