Clothes dryer timer motor doesn't move

The knob I use to select drying time in this White-Westinghouse dryer doesn't move, regardless of whether set for timed or automatic drying. With the dryer running, I measure 120 V across the motor. Resistance across the motor, with one lead disconnected from everything, is 3000 ohms, which is about what it should be based on the 3 watt rating stamped on it. Electrically, the motor seems okay. Looks like a mechanical failure (e.g., gears) within the timer assembly. Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

Hi,

If the timer motor is getting 110-120 volts AC in all timer settings ( timed and auto cycles ) but the timer is not advancing/moving....certainly sounds like new timer time! Doesn't have to be a stripped gear, something could be binding/seizing up as well and failing.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Sounds like you have isolated the problem. Excellent work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have replaced my timer 3 times, $60 bucks each. the 1st one I got was defective, and the second lasted about a year. The third is 3 years and going strong.

Reply to
Mastermech

Which brand dryer?

Reply to
Ray K

One other thing that probably confirms mechanical problems: Seems to me that originally I could twist the timer knob only clockwise. Now I can twist it either way.

Reply to
Ray K