Cleaning In-Wall Drier Vent????????HELP??????

People have been using water trap dryer vents for decades with no problems.

tells how to make one from a 5-gallon bucket, or you can buy them on ebay for 8 bucks or so.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thats why I havent done it yet? I havent figured an easy way to filter the air. I know of lots of ways to do it but not without a serious constuction project.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Nah, just quit clipping nostril hairs - unless you're THIS close to having enough for a sweater.

Reply to
HeyBub

We had a similar problem with our dryer vent which was vented to come out the roof. We had a man come in and re-route it. ... the laundry room is next to the garage. The dryer vent now runs into the garage, then up to the attic and across ... coming out the fascia board. Works great now. Don't know what caused the blockage in the original way it was vented - but there is a clean-out in the garage if needed.

Reply to
Dottie

Hi John,

I took a look at the link you provided.

If I understand the instructions correctly, the vented air goes across the water, rather than through the water.

Do I have that right?

If so, it would reduce the particulates, but certainly not eliminate them.

And that raises a question:

When you say "People have been using water trap dryer vents for decades with no problems" what leads you to believe that there have been no problems?

I'm not a "sky is falling" sort, but I do know that breathing the sort of fine particulates produces by a dryer is a serious matter.

You may certainly be correct in your assessment that the bucket technique is a good one, but the fact that it is done frequently does not tell us much about its actual safety.

I'd be interested in learning more about it if you might have further information.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

The indoor vent is a good idea for electric dryers if you want/need additional moisture and heat in your house. But still, indoor venting will add more dust than venting to the outdoors.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's cheap, it works, try it, if you don't like it you've wasted very little. Set a clean smooth surface near the dryer, note what it looks like after a day not running the dryer. Then run the dryer and wait a day for the fines to settle and see what you get. If it's more than your comfortable with, then worry about it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Howdy,

The problem is that the dust is of a form that can be a health hazard.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Suggestion: Isn't the problem that burning plastic can produce noxious/ toxic fumes? So the requirement to now use a metallized drier vent hose is probably an attempt to reduce just one more 'likely' source of combustion. A lot of fires are caused by people smoking either in bed or on a sofa etc. next thing the tobacco causes synthetic bedclothes or upholstery to smoulder and individuals die from fumes; not from being burnt.

Reply to
terry

There have been some interesting posts here. The vent pipe in your wall should be rigid metal, so a wire brush should not harm it. If it is flexible of any material, replace it.

If you use a shop vac on "blow", then be sure to use it from the inside of your home.

Be sure to clean the inside of the dryer vent termination cap on your roof. Quite often, that is the source of the blockage.

Modern dryers are rated to push air through at least 25' of dryer vent. Be sure to deduct 5' for each 90 degree elbow.

Good luck with this project.

Alisa Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician

CDET 14