Dumb A/C condensation drain

Last night as I was working in my basement shop the central A/C kicked on. After about 30 minutes, I happened to glance down to see a growing puddle around the base of my furnace. The water was coming from the condensation drain on the A/C. Something had plugged the drain and the water was bubbling out on the floor.

Near as I can tell, whoever installed the centrail A/C in my house just punched a hole through the floor and glued a piece of PVC pipe in as a drain for the condensation. The water is supposed to just wick away under the concrete pad, I guess. It's sandy soil tens of feet deep, and on top of a hill, so there's excellent drainage. Still, I don't like the arrangement.

Furnace is in the exact center of the basement, with pedestrian traffic all around. Sump crock is in the far corner. Can't get to the sump crock without either laying pipe across where people walk, or busting up the floor. Don't like either option.

Any alternatives, like a small sump and pump that I can use to lift the water up and over, along the joists, and down into the sump crock in the corner?

Reply to
mkirsch1

Lowe's has a condensation pump at some stores. Do a search on the Lowes web site for: condensation pump. The is one item that caught my eye, which is Lowe's item #189246. Float control, plastic pipe attachment, 2 quart holding tank.

Note the Customer ratings is only 3.4. (out of 4.0) It is just a pump, tank and float control. It should be at least 3.8.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again

The condensate pump at the HD web site has a higher customer rating.

Reply to
Phil Again

It's based on only two reviews - that doesn't necessarily mean much.

RicodJour

Condensate pumps die. I'd clear the current drain and make it work again. A condensate pump could be used to pump "overflow" if the current drain plugs again, or you could set the drain up with an overflow switch which would sound a "clean me" alarm.

Reply to
Bob F

A/C evaporator units usually have TWO drains. The one you see may be the overflow drain, to be used only if the primary becomes clogged.

Reply to
HeyBub

Eh, likewise, a condensate pump (a good one, at least) comes with a set of contacts that (open or close? I'm not sure) when the water level reaches a certain height in its tank; higher than the cut-in level. You can use that to shut down the furnace, sound an alarm, or both (if you are handy with relays.)

I'd be curious if in the OP's situation it wouldn't be possible to trench the concrete rather than digging it up, to take the drain water over to the sump without the condensate pump, which is less elegant than the right solution.

At least he HAS a sump... I don't have any drain lower than a couple feet off the floor in my basement.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

How old is the house and how long has this worked successfully?

If it's been working more than 5 or 10 years, I'd just repair what I had. Not sure if it is less than 5 years.

Reply to
mm

Condensate pumps can be quite reliable if installed and maintained properly. I will always install a timed release detergent/ biocide strip in the evaporator pan when using one. The strips will keep things clear and flowing for months at a time.

[8~{} Uncle Monster

Reply to
Uncle Monster