Claw truck max lift weight

How much can a typical claw truck lift? I have some tree trunks sitting out there fir the FEMA pickup (Irma) and I wonder if I need to cut them up more.
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Wow. Good luck. I only respond because i never saw a Claw truck.
On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 5:57:00 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a typical claw truck. Here in NJ they do brush pickup and they use a front end loader that has jaws on it. They pick up some pretty heavy stuff, dump it in one of those big, long, open dumpster bins that a truck then backs up to and loads. I've put out pieces that were so heavy I had to roll them out on a dolly. And here after Sandy when there was a big cleanup, they took even bigger stuff. I'd say if you can get it to the street, they'll probably take it. You could call the town and ask, they should know, even if they're not doing it.

I saw one that had a capacity of 7200# for pickup. Even if your trucks are smaller it would take a good sized trunk.

If that is what they send I should be fine. They had the claw trucks here after Charley but I did not have anything that big out there. This time I have some that are 32" across and 36" long. That should be less than 1000 pounds. (assuming green fucus is less than 60 #/cu/ft) I know my poor little Sport Trac was complaining when I dragged them around the house. The grass took a beating tho.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 19 Oct 2017 17:56:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Well, I've seen a claw truck and it was interesting enough that I stopped to watch it. But it was picking up big piles of little stuff.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170915/city-by-city-what-to-expect-on-hurricane-irma-debris-removal You don't say what city you live in, but the only reference to claw truck won't help you. It looks like FEMA reimburses towns and doesn't provide its own equipment, so maybe you can find out from your town.
"HOLLY HILL
In Holly Hill, residents should use this weekend to clean their properties and place storm debris at the road. Residents should avoid placing debris next to fire hydrants, over storm drains in the roadway or in a position where the claw truck may not be able to reach it due to overhead obstructions. All construction debris must be kept separate from yard debris. Collection is planned to begin next week; dates will be announced when the contractor provides confirmation."

Lee County is working on the debris but they are talking about 2.5 millions of yards of "hort" in our county. I have a big pile of little stuff (logs the size of your leg) in the field next to my house that you can see from space. I am also piling up logs that are almost 3 feet in diameter in front of my house. I really do not want to drag them down the road because the chain will be tough on the asphalt.
The west coast got hit a lot harder than the east coast. Irma came on shore in the county below me at a Cat 4 and was a Cat 3 when it came over my house. I lost a lot of trees.
On 20-Oct-17 1:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Feel your pain...still have remnants from the big ice/snow in January that haven't gotten cleaned up...the county closed the burn collection pile well before had sufficient time to get all the big stuff down so been having to just deal piecemeal with what can in between the necessary other stuff. Finally gave up the idea of being able to burn all the really large stuff (2-ft and up) so opened bulk account at the land fill...it's still $35/T but other than that it'll be piled all around the place for years...so whatchya gonna do...
Can't imagine how much more would have if had that kind of wind, too...I've never seen ice do so much damage as did this storm, I suppose because it was late and we'd had enough warm weather the sap had started running and stuff was already partially leafed out so just so much more surface area...

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 20 Oct 2017 02:05:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Really! You mean the colloquial "you", right? that they showed you such a view? You're not saying that they've updated one of the webpage satellite views since the storm, are you? Because I would go look if I could see it.

That's bad but I hope your house is okay.
Only 36 inch long?
I've never seen a claw that can't handle that, you should be okay.
Uh, we call it a grapple, but I knew what you meant.

The NOAA pictures were taken on Wednesday as far as I can tell, just by the cars in the driveway. (3 days after the storm) I had really just got started on the trees by then, just getting the ones out of the back yard, right outside the door and off the shed. Since then I have been working on the canal and the ones behind the shed. The pile is much bigger and the largest trunks are in front of the house.

I lost a half dozen screen panels in the pool cage but other than that I am OK

I would just put it out and let them worry about it. If it is to heavy they will either have a heaver duty piece of equipment, cut it up themselves or give you a notice. I presume your's isn't the heaviest load around (g).
--
Tekkie

I bet I am close. We have quite a pile out there.

We are hoping. Our biggest fear is it won't be Lee County but the Village of Estero doing the pickup. About 95% of this village is gated communities who do not depend on city resources so the village tends to ignore us. In fact the only residential streets in the whole village that are not privately maintained are in the 3 communities at the southern end of West Broadway. (about 150 homes) I really wish they would just think we were too much trouble and give us back to the county.

Yup this place was less than 2,000 people when I moved here and now it is well over 10 times that, virtually all gated, golf course communities. You should try a google earth and look around. You will not recognize the place. My neighborhood (Estero River Heights) didn't change much but we are about 95% built out. There are still a few vacant lots tho, a couple waterfront. We did just have someone buy a nice $460k house on the river, tear it down and build a bigger one so they are coming.

I don't fish but I watch fish. If I ever decide I want to kill some, I know where they hang out ;-) I have thought about throwing a spoon without a hook on it, just to see if I can get them to hit it. We are on the Estero River 3 or 4 days a week. Bonita is such a pain in the ass to get to from here these days and the whole Imperial River is no wake so I don't go there.

There are still some snook and reds in here but nothing like the old days. You can still find them if you know where to look.