Today a circuit breaker for the living room tripped all of a sudden for
no obvious reason. Nothing new or heavy duty was plugged into the
outlets and it never tripped before. We could not immediately reset it.
After about 5 minutes we reset it, but it tripped again in another 10
minutes and that particular breaker was very hot to the touch (hotter
than the others which were just a little warm). So we've left it off and
are using extension cords for the tv and lamp.
Does it sound like a bad breaker? Is this something we could look at
ourselves if we took the front of the panel off, or should we just wait
until Monday and call an electrician? Any input appreciated.
Are you sure that breaker is just for the living room?
I took a day and worked with a friend to make a good chart of my
electrical box. He brought over a nifty gizmo that you can stick near an
electrical source (like an outlet) and if the power is on it will beep
and we charted all the circuits. Cut off one at a time to double check.
My master bedroom and bath is on the same circuit as the downstairs
kitchen lights. Always wondered why the bathroom lights dimmed sometime
-and not other times - when I used a hairdryer.
So sometimes a circuit is not so clear as to exactly what else you might
have on it.
Sounds to me like either you have - inadvertently - added something to
that circuit or you have a bad breaker.
Personally - I'd opt for an electrician if you are not really savvy
about doing it yourself. With water, all you can get it wet. With
(My advice is worth what it costs...)
It sounds like the breaker is doing exactly what it is there for; tripping
in response to an overload.
I doubt it is defective because then it would probably trip without getting
hot; but if you want to make sure, you can swap two breakers and see what
happens. If the problem goes with the breaker, it is defective. If it
stays with the circuit, it is an overload.
However, in the interest of being conservative, you should probably turn the
breaker off, and carefully see what doesn't work anymore. Odds are, you
will find something big that you didn't know was on that circuit.
Nothing new has been plugged into that circuit for the last 6 months at
least. Can a power surge cause an overload? The only strange thing that
happened is that after we plugged the DVR/Cable box into a different
outlet it went off again, but nothing tripped. It usually goes off
because of a power surge.
What else besides overload causes the breaker to get so physically hot?
The breaker is still off. The only things we had plugged into the
circuit were the TV, VCR, DVR/Cable box, and two lamps. That's it--and
they've been plugged in for years.
If I put the breaker back on now (with nothing plugged in) will it trip?
And if it does, what would that mean?
How would you know about an power surge if you do not have the equipment to
measure one? Did you have an lightning storm recently?
Something has decided to draw more power causing the breaker to get hot.
Unplug everything on the circuit and plug one thing in at a time and wait
for a while. Check the breaker for heating.
It is possible that the breaker has lived its life and you need an new one.
Best bet is to call an pro
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Turn the main breakers off. Then check the wire on the overheating breaker.
If the screw will tighten on the wire the poor connection could have caused
over heating even with a lesser load than the rating on breaker. While you
have main breakers off check all other breakers screws for tightness. If the
house is the 1950's era you may have aluminum wiring, this compresses over
time and makes a poor connection. Warren
We did just what you said and found that one of the wires on the breaker
was loose and barely attached. Screwed it back on and all seems well.
No trips and the breaker is not hot.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in.
yea, like WW said on the screw tightness, however;
if the breaker is hot is may be the stab that plugs over the bus bar stab
has lost its grip and that loose connection is what more than likely will
cause a breaker to heat up barring the loose wired connection. If you
know how to remove a breaker, you might want to pull it and look for signs
of heat at the plugin stab and bus bar.
It's not uncommon to burn off the whole foot of the breaker over time
ruining the particular bus stab & then you'd most likely put a new breaker
in at a different location and probably pigtail the wire to reach it.
The guy who said to swap breakers & see if the problem follows is your best
bet if your not " electrical " . You said you mapped out what outlets are on
that breaker, unplug oor tuurn off everything on that circuit, flip on the
breaker, start plugging stuff in at a time giving a few minutes in between.
SWAP THE BREAKER. . less time, less hassle
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.