Chimney Pointing

One of my chimneys is in a sad state of repair. Motar and pieces of brick are missing in spots. Would it be that difficult for me to repair my own chimney or should I call a professional to repoint it?

Its a bit late in the year for it now, the weather is getting colder. This is a project I'm planning for next spring.

Handi

Reply to
Handi

at least get it professionally inspected if its a working chimney for fireplace or flue vents.

if outside appearance is poor the interior may have troubles

I nearly died from carbon monoxide poisioning from a bad chimney cap!

Reply to
hallerb

Pieces of brick missing would lead me to suspect improper choice of brick. Apparently some are not suitable for such exterior use- water penetrates and freezes, splitting the bricks. I've seen a large memorial in E. Norwalk CT literally pulverized that way.

barry