chimney flue tile breaking off

The flue tile at the top of my chimney has been chipping off for the past few years. It is 8 1/2 X 8 1/2 and sticks out about 8 inches from the top. I have my furnace serviced every year. The top is now uneven because only two sections has chipped off. Is this just normal wear? Should I be concerned that the uneven top could affect the draft of the chimney on windy days? Should I have this repaired or just chip the remaining tile off?

Reply to
Sandy Yan

get it checked out by a professional. It is likely only the top edge that is giving out due to weather and some sort of sealant will probably stop that if it's not too bad. But on the other hand it could be a tile problem that is affecting the tiles down inside the chimney out of view. This could lead to Carbon Monoxide getting into the house and..... well we all know what that's good for!

Love your family - get it fixed correctly!

Reply to
mwlogs