Chemistry help for cleaning the wife's pots & pans with pool acid (2023 Update)

Unless the pots are aluminum - - -

Reply to
clare

Gillets lye crystals, oe red devil from local old-tyme hardware store

Reply to
clare

A catalyst impregnated into the enamel or ceramic coating - - -

Reply to
clare

Baking soda is slightly alkaline. Not enough to attack aluminum but alkaline enough to help solubilize acidic materials. Oxidation of a lot of carbon containing materials makes for carboxylic acid groups. Vinegar is slightly acidic. Not enough to attack most metals but and remove lime deposits by solubilizing the calcium salts. So both are used as mild cleaning agents.

Reply to
Frank

You would have enjoyed the 1959 eruption of Kilauea Iki. Park rangers closed off access but I went the long way...across Kilauea caldera to an area called Byron's Ledge which was only about 1000' from the spouting vent.

Now, 1000' sounds like a fair distance but the vent was shooting up as high as 2500' and the norm was 1000+. It was hot (and noisy!); I had a Hastings triplet on a beaded chain around my neck, had to remove it because the chain got so hot.

Reply to
dadiOH

Soap manufacturers for one. Potassium hydroxide too. Use wood ash and make your own.

Reply to
dadiOH

There must be chemical supply houses in California. Go to one. Or pick one of these...

dadiOH

The best environmentally friendly chemical that is widely available is L-bo Grease.

Reply to
graham

But does it come with instructions?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

pics?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

SOKOFF is the product you need. It removes baked on grease and carbon deposits. Safe on most cookware including aluminum. I used it on a well-used commercial waffle iron and it came out great. You can find it on some stores or on Amazon.

Reply to
Ed60062

SOKOFF is the product you need. It removes baked on grease and carbon deposits. Safe on most cookware including aluminum. I used it on a well-used commercial waffle iron and it came out great. You can find it in some stores or on Amazon.

Reply to
Ed60062

Wow, $25 / pint. seems like liquid silver.

If you have access to a small steam cleaner, I would give that a try. Steam is quite remarkable when it comes to cleaning. Something like this:

Stormin' Norman

Already answered, pay attention.

Green, usually copper. Iron, typically red.

Just looked up Chromium, it has some green compounds.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Numerous but they are all large format transparencies. Some nice shots here...

dadiOH

I bought a steam cleaner hoping to use it on my Weber grill. It did practically nothing to the cooked on grease and carbon deposits.

Reply to
Ed60062

Could shop for his needs here:

Frank