Cheap electric switches and outlets

As Clare mentioned, based on the age of the house (100 years old), the insurance company required an on-site inspection before they would insure the home. We had to have it reinspected after we upgraded the electrical system to qualify for the lower rates.

Nothing lasts forever. Even in dry conditions, moisture in the air will cause metal to oxidize and rust over time.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Must be a Canuckistan thing.

Shouldn't rust a painted box enough to cause problems unless there is liquid water around. That's just dumb.

Reply to
krw

Washington State

Rust and corrosion were just one symptom of an overall aging electrical system. Crumbling insulation on the wiring, old outlets that had worn out, burnt wiring around lighting fixtures, overloaded circuits, etc. all contributed to the unsafe conditions. My in-laws are older seniors in poor health on a fixed income. They couldn't afford to have it fixed and didn't have the skills or physical ability to do it themselves. So it continued to deteriorate over many years (they have lived in the house over 50 years).

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband