changing handles to other side of fridge/freezer

My landlady/roommate has a large refrigerator/freezer where, IMO, the door should ope on the other side.

It's an Amana, maybe 10 years old, or 20?, with a tall, hinged door on the bottom for the freezer, and a fridge above it.

It's clearly designed to open from either side.

How much time would this take me? I think it takes 2 people to hold the door in place while attaching the top bracket/hinge, right? For the fridge. Maybe I can prop the freezer door on a book while I attach its hinge.

How much extra time will it take since the screws have been sitting this way for 10 or 20 years?

She hasn't even said anything. It just bothers me because it's wrong, but it doesn't bother me enough to spend more than 2.5 hours, and I don't want to tell her I'm going to fix it and then not, and then it will bother her that it's not fixed when now she doesn't even know it's broken.

Reply to
Micky

You're a pip Micky. :-)

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Micky wrote in news:5k6adch8okdrgicdldlgtv57bakr0l38os@

4ax.com:

The above is the only important part of your post. It's HER refrigerator. It doesn't bother HER. It's not your place to unilaterally decide to fix something that she doesn't perceive as a problem.

Now please go away, and don't come back unless you have some actual home repair problems.

Just. Go. Away.

Reply to
Doug Miller

But does it bother her? Better make sure before you take the time to change it. Last time I changed a door it was about 15 minutes. Not a big job. You can probably find specific instructions on line.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My wife can do it by herself. As Ed says 15 minutes. Take off top hinge, Lift off door. Swap handle over. Swap over bottom hinge. Set the door on it and put in the top hinge. The magnetic seal will usually hold the door until you get the top hinge lined up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Quick easy one person job, basic tools, did it with our GE, as Ed says

15 minutes.
Reply to
FrozenNorth

Following thread because sometimes what to do may not be self evident. I had a stove handle that needed tightening and I made a mess of it. Would not be a problem if I checked utube first.

Reply to
Frank

Hard core, Dougie ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I would assume he'd ask her before doing it. But like his last question, even if she gives the OK, if it were me, I'd be concerned about being on the hook if something goes wrong. Like the screws are rusted, break off, he gets it off, can't get it on the other side, etc. I guess it comes down to how inconvenient it really is and if it's worth it.

Reply to
trader_4

I am not sure if Amana was Whirlpool when that was built but the screws are usually in nylon plugs so they come right out.

Reply to
gfretwell

Change it and if that thing quits working in the next 10 years it will be you know who's fault.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Swap the hinges but leave the handle on the wrong side - be sure to video-record the process - and especially the results when the landlady tries to open it - post to UTube. :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

Except it's Mikey. It'll be 2 weeks before he gets his screw-driver out and the thread will have 200 entries.

Reply to
clare

Last big trip I needed a flashlight twice, so this time I brought one, but it's in the car now. I'll get it and look for the model number, and see what I can find about instructions, especially for the screw covers.

(Another thing I took on a trip for the first time is a magnifying glass. I've used it several times already. For one thing those phone map programs let you use two fingers to make the map bigger and smaller, but the highway numbers never get bigger.

Addressed to everyone: I'm going to be here 9 more weeks, so there is plenty of time to do things. Once I visited friends on Staten Island and while they were at work, I noticed that their built-in micorwave oven, which matched their built-in gas oven, which matched the kitchen decor wouldn't latch and wouldn't run. Because it didn't work at all and because they weren't there, and because if they could even get another matching oven, it would cost plenty extra, I didn't ask permission, and boy was she happy when she noticed it was fixed. That took about an hour, just sheet metal screws into sheet metal. Much better than a hostess gift that is eaten or drunk and gone, this lasted them for years.

More later when I know more

Reply to
Micky

I don't have to read my post again to know I didn't say i would

*decide* for her. I'll ask her if she wants it changed.

That she hasn't complained to me after knowing me two weeks doesn't mean it doesn't annoy her, and even if it doesn't bother her, it will still be pleasing if it works better.

I suppose you've never done something to please someone that did please her that she didn't ask for, and that you've never bought someone something she didnt' already know she'd like. And I suppose you've never even suggested to someone that she might like something she hadn't heard of before.

Yes, I suppose that is true. You never have.

I like your plan better. You plonk me and I can post what I want without your carping.

Reply to
Micky

My gosh, you're bitter.

Reply to
Micky

Nope - just realistic - - -

Reply to
clare

I guess it's like some people (most people. Everyone, I hope) can't bear to drive by a half-naked baby alone on the highway, I have a hard time walking by something that's broken that I could fix.

But what she really needs is a new outlet in her bedroom, for when she uses the heater. It turns out my room and 3 other rooms were added recently, so they're the ones with new outlets and wired for cable TV (and some other jack I've never seen before.) But her room goes back to 1979. So does the rest of the apartment, but it has plenty of heat. Even her room does if she didn't keep the door closed, and I think when I leave she'll open it again. ;-)

Reply to
Micky