Changing Color of Porcelain Bath Tub

My wife and I are remodeling our bathroom. We've installed a white sink and white commode. The existing bathtub is built into the wall. It's an aqua blue and still in very good shape. We would like to color the tub white to match the other pieces.

I've found two re-coloring kits: Klenks and Magic American. Both are epoxy based, and both warn you not to use an abrasive cleaner since it will eventually remove the new finish.

Had anyone used these and had good results? Is there a better product for changing a bathtub color?

TIA for any tips, suggestions, comments.

Manjo

Reply to
Manjo

at best even done professionally its a short term fix. a few years, 5 at most:( the paint wears away over time.

if your redoing the bathroom, change the tub too

imagine a nice white room with green spotted tub:(

Reply to
hallerb

at best even done professionally its a short term fix. a few years, 5 at most:( the paint wears away over time.

if your redoing the bathroom, change the tub too

imagine a nice white room with green spotted tub:(

Reply to
hallerb

Please forget this idea. It will make you very sad, very soon. Get a new tub.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

there are companies that will refinish your tub, some using a spray on finish , some with an insert .

The do-it -yourself kits often give poor results .

Reply to
marks542004

Some of the inserts work nicely. But the refinishing....no, unless you're happy with a result that doesn't last as long as most people expect from a NEW tub.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My thanks for all the excellent replies. The tub is not used a lot. I'm going to try to paint it with an epoxy product with three or more spray on coats.

Can someone recommend a kit, or perhaps please let me know which kits to stay away from??

TIA,

Manjo

Manjo wrote:

Reply to
Manjo

stay away from all kits they are waste of money. at least get it done professionally

Getting a bathfitter insert is much better idea.........

Reply to
hallerb

First of all, stop top posting. Nobody reads from bottom to top. Fix your problem.

I agree with hallerb. Forget trying to put another coating on the tub. Look at inserts. Even if it takes 3 months or a year for you to investigate doing the job yourself, take the time. If there is an evil force trying to get you to do this quickly instead of correctly, tell the evil force to concern herself with other things, like planning how many Christmas cookies she's going to make. Meditate on doing this job perfectly, and do it YOUR way. But, no epoxy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I just happened to see one yesterday where the contractor painted a blue tub with white epoxy paint. It looked great and I didn't know it could even be done. He said he does it all the time and in this case he is going to be moving into the house.

Reply to
Rich256

Be very concerned about toxic and flammable fumes when dealing with solvents and resins. Its winter now and the house is closed in. You don't really want to breath in the fumes. If you spray that may create an explosive mist.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Thanks for all the replies and thoughful advice.

Manjo

Manjo wrote:

Reply to
Manjo