chain saw sharpning

If cutting almost continiousy how long should a chain saw chain last before it needs sharpning when sawing soft wood like pine trees ?

I know that is a difficult question, but Maybe in time or tanks of gas. All that assuming it does not hit dirt that dulls the chain in about 1 second.

I do not do much sawing but a large pine tree (about 45 feet tall and about 14 to 16 inches in diameter) fell. I was using an Echo with a 16 inch bar and the new chain did not seem to last too long before it needed sharpning. I was careful not to let it hit the ground.

I use one of the sharpners from Harbor Freight and it seems to do a good job no more than I use it. Bought it a few years ago on sale for around $ 25.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I usually swap out the chain at every other tank. Probably not necessary but my small saw (Stihl MS250) just cuts so much better with a sharp chain.

Reply to
Skid Marks

An added question. How long should it take to sharpen a 16 in by hand? I remember giving up on the first link and buying new.

Reply to
Thomas

I use an MS250 , and it's older brother an 025 both with 18" bars for most cutting . A pair of older Homelite Super 2's with 14" bars for the smaller stuff and limbing . I watch the chips , when they get small I change the chain - and flip the bar . I also carry a tool kit with spare chains and some tools when I go out for a cutting session . I seldom touch a chain with a file any more , I got one of those grinder setups and it does a much better job than I ever did by hand .

Reply to
Snag

Sounds about how often my chains were getting dull. I had not done very much continious cutting before this week when two trees blew down. I just thought the chains would go a lot longer between sharpning.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Are y'all using cheap chains ? I buy from the local Stihl dealer , his prices are competitive and the quality is top notch . I can usually get 2 or more trees down and cut to stove length before I need to swap or sharpen . I'm talking about oak and hickory , usually 60-80 feet tall and 16" diameter plus at the base .

Reply to
Snag

I do not think they are cheap chains, but could be. An Oregon 91PX057X is what came with the Echo saw and I bought a couple in the same package and name.

I was cutting a dead pine tree that was about 50 feet tall and starting on a fallen live pine tree about 50 feet tall. They are both about 16 inches in diameter, about the same diameter trunks as my saw.

Cutting some and using a wood chipper to get rid of the limbs that are up about 2 1/2 inches. Bought a chipper that says it is 3 inches but it will only take about a 2 1/2 inch limb down the chute.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Oregon makes good chains , I've used them on a couple of saws . I have zero experience with pine trees . Is your chain getting gummed up with sap ? That's one problem most hardwoods don't have , especially if they're dead or dying .

Reply to
Snag

As Oregon came with the Echo saw I thought it should be a good chain.

The first tree had been dead for a long time. The 2 nd was live. I do not think the chain was getting gummed up. It did not seem that way when I took it off.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I can't speak for chain-saws but I know that the blade on my radial arm saw - when cutting red cedar - would develop a very slight " varnish " that would affect the " sharpness " way more than you'd think. Cleaning off the varnish was a pain - but afterwards it was amazing how much better it cut ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

We cleaned blades on a semi-regular basis in the cabinet shops I worked in . Mostly on the table saws , and it did depend on what we were cutting how often it was needed .

Reply to
Snag

Try carbide tipped chain.

Reply to
WWS TEXAS

That's similar to my experience here too.

Reply to
trader_4