Ceramic Tile

We have a small bathroom on our lower level that has floor to ceiling "50s yellow tile. I am thinking of having the tile surfaced by a firm that does bathtub resurfacing any one tried this our knows of the results?

Frank

Reply to
ktech

I've got the same situation, but my tile is the color of pink puke. My suggestions are based on my desire to destroy, and quickly:

You didn't mention what it costs to resurface, or exactly what material will be used to resurface. But if it were my house, I'd remove the tiles, risk ANY amount of damage to the wall beneath, and if necessary, install all new sheetrock. You could remove the tiles yourself, and hire someone to do the sheetrock. You may have to remove the old sheetrock if it's damaged enough during the tile removal. But, you gain a distinct advantage: You get down to the beams, at which point you can easily install all sorts of things you may want later, like more outlets, a nice fan, etc.

Generally speaking, I think it's very bad to use a non-weird material (like sheetrock, wood or plaster) to cover a material that is definitely in the category of WEIRD, like tile. How is it weird? Imagine that you want to mount a picture or a towel rack. With the three non-weird materials I mentioned, you know exactly what fasteners you'll need (anchors, certain types of screws). But, if there's tile underneath, and another layer of who-knows-what behind the tile, then what? And, imagine what the next homeowner will have to go through. They'll find a way to put a permanent curse on your heathen soul after dealing with a multi layer wall that makes absolutely no sense and breaks all their drill bits.

Do it the clean way. Rip it all out. Don't be like my ex-wife, who watched as I broke multiple nice drill bits trying to hang things in OUR bathroom, and insisted that it would be "nice" to add yet another layer. The wall had panelling on top of plaster on top of what seemed to be 1/8" tin. Behind that was a layer of lath which bowed inward when I tried to drill it. It defied every cutting tool I could come up with, unless I finally used a masonry bit. If I'd gotten my pistol permit sooner, I probably would've tried that before the masonry bit.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter"

Thanks. That was an excellent chuckle.

The sad thing is that in 20 or 30 years, today's newborns will be saying the same thing about our granite counters and stainless appliances.

And yet strangely enough, I've seen places remodeled with new, shag carpeting. I guess it all comes around sooner or later.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

Reply to
ktech

Chuckle? I'm mad!!!! My bathroom is disgusting. I just bought this house, and I made the exact same mistakes (at age 51) that I did when I bought the last place (at age 31): I fell in love with the land and the trees because I'm a gardener before anything else. I didn't notice that the bathroom is hideous and the work flow arrangement in the kitchen is a joke. I *did* notice that the wiring was done by an anal retentive electrician. The wires in the cellar are straighter than a highway running through Iowa. Amazing.

Back to the bathroom: Pass the explosives.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I've been watching a show on DIY called Bathroom Remodeling. A woman is doing a gut-rehab on her bathroom, with some help from her father and the occasional professional for plumbing and such.

Her starting point was that pink tile, see:

Brian

Reply to
Default User

My next big project is a 1963 pepto bathroom too. What was with this folks? Was it Jackie K?

I am just going to take it down to the studs and start over. I think trying a surgical removal of the tile will take longer than hanging a few sheets of Durashield.

Reply to
Greg

I have give a BIG recommendation for Miracle Method. Had them recolor a bath with tile that looked like popcorn flavor jelly bellies (yellowish white with brown speckles). Last time I saw the bath (tub too) was 6 years after the work and it still looked great - ONLY bathroom in the house with

2- 4 residents, plus home washed large dogs.
Reply to
ClaudCar

the biggest issue with this other than durability is that they point over the tile and grout. You loose the distinction between the two and the end result doesnt look very nice. Kind of looks like that cheap 4X8 sheets of stuff you used to buy for $5.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.