Cellulose Insulation in a Very Tight Attic (Help!)

I live in an 85-year townhouse in Washington, DC with an underinsulated attic. I am considering cellulose insulation (DIY) as a cost-effective fix.

I've got a flat roof with a narrow attic -- 2.5 ft above the joists at the front of the house, down to 1.5 ft at the back. I went up today to explore and discovered two massive beams parallel to the joists, effectively dividing the house into thirds, front to back. I should be able to get around the front beam. But there is no way around the back one, to the back third of the attic. To my horror, this back third is COMPLETELY uninsulated (and has been for 85 years!).

The questions:

  • Has anyone tried cellulose insulation in such a tight space?

  • How far does the blower shoot the stuff and with how much control? The problematic beam is about 15 ft from the back of the house. I've never done this before, but figure, extending the blower over the beam as far as I can, I could get the insulation about 5 or 7 ft past it, leaving the back 15-20% of the attic uninsulated. Or am I over- or under-estimating the ability to shoot this stuff further back in crammed quarters?

  • Is this even worth my effort and money if I don't get full coverage? I figure I'll notice an improvement, even if it's not perfect.

  • Any ideas on how to get at this back third of the house? Here are some thoughts I've had:

1) Shoot massive amounts of the crap indiscriminately in the back in hopes that at least some settles towards the back of the house. 2) Try to use some sort of stick to push piles of it towards the back. 3) Put a hole through a ceiling at the back of the house large enough to crawl up. 4) Disconnect the HVAC duct (6 ft from the back of the house) and just blast away upwards, knowing I still won't get full coverage.

Any thoughts or reaction would be most appreciated. Summer's here...

Perry

Reply to
t.orangutan

The blowers I've used would shoot about 6 feet. You can turn up the air pressure, but it gets incredibly dusty. You might try duct taping a 1x2 to the hose to get further.

Reply to
marson

Or just attach a length of plastic pipe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Or cut a hole in the gable at that end, and stick a vent/grill over the hole when done. Or go up through the ceiling of whatever room is underneath. Personally, I'd cut an access hatch at the far end, because I dislike having places I can't get to.

Is your attic vented? If so, how are you going to keep from blocking the vents?

Reply to
Goedjn