Ceiling fan with light

I have a ceiling fan with a light that has 2 separate wall switches ... one works the fan (on/off) and the other works the lights (on/off). There are no other switches. Well there is a draw string you can pull on, that only works the fan speeds.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

Reply to
Doug

Probably just a 2 way, but take off the wall plate and have a look to be sure.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I'd guess the switches are one way. Single pole, single throw.

.

I presume these wall switches are each just 2 way switches? I ask because I may want to put a timer on just the light switch without affecting the fan switch. Am I correct?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They are called single pole, and yes you can replace the switch with a timer

Reply to
RBM

"Doug" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

When we built this house, the electrician set up each room in a similar manner. Don't know what type switches, but it was and is still confusing. All the fans have a remote control for both the light and fan, so we ended up keeping both wall switches on all the time and used the remote to turn light and fan on/off as well as dim the light and change fan speed - whichis basically whay I told him I wanted initially.

Reply to
John Carter

Thanks all for the help and correcting me !!!!

Reply to
Doug

Yes you can if you have 3 wires.. But you have to know how to do it,

Reply to
Hot-Text