cause of leak from toilet

Just had some tile work done in a bathroom upstairs. Part of the job involved removing and replacing a toilet. Job was finished about 2 weeks ago. I just noticed some discoloration on the ceiling below the bathroom. I thought it might be moisture, had my wife flush, and sure enough, when she flushed I heard some "heavy drips". My tile guy says he thinks it is a pipe problem that he had nothing to do with. He says what he did (replace the toilet) is a no brainer. He thinks if it was a problem with the part between the john and the pipe that he replaced, we would have a leak all the time, not just when we flush. I guess my question is : Is it highly unlikely, as my tile guy claims, that he could have caused a problem like this just by replacing the toilet? Any opinions appreciated!

He's either stupid or thinks you are.

He probably didn't replace the wax seal with a new one when he reinstalled the toilet or he didn't use a thick enough wax ring (or stacked two regular thickness ones) to make a proper seal betwen the base of the toilet and the wastepipe flange.

There's only water present at that joint when the toilet is flushing, not all the time.

No, it's highly likely.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Agreed.

Removing and replacing the toilet should take you less than hour and cost you a wax ring - less than $5.00. Paint touch-up, about 10 minutes max.

Is it worth it getting into a fist fight with the tile guy for that? But I'd tell him that I'm filing a complaint with bbb.

Reply to
Deke

If it didn't leak before the tile guy reinstalled it then he is at fault. Forget the better business thing, tell him that damages are mounting and he will take care of it or you'll hire someone to do it and sue him for compensation. That's what small claims court is for.

Reply to
Ed

Get a new wax ring and reinstall it don,t use 2 as thats what amatures do use reguler flanged seal if the floor boy did good job thats all you need. When you lift toilet look at the hieght of floor versus height of flange they should be very close to same no more than quarter inch high low

Reply to
jim

Right. And you can usually smell a poorly installed wax ring.

Reply to
Deke

I opine that he is full of shit.

If he installed tile in the bathroom where there was no tile before, that involves installing a new flange and probably its a bit longer than the last one. Well it should be since it has about an 1" more distance to travel now. Perhaps he just said skip it, and did not install a longer flange...

If the wax ring was not sealed it would basically cause foul odor in there. Not so much a leak. but if the wax leaked then it certainly would cause foul odor from time to time. I think its more likely he screwed up the flange and the leak is beneath the flange between it and the original pipe.

Yea, I bet he screwed up big time.

He is an idiot for not fixing it. Of course you are not going to let it just leak. Of course you will call a plumber and get it fixed and the plumber will be happy to explain exactly what the problem was.

Be sure to take pictures.

Reply to
dnoyeB