Caulking around trimming and crown molding

Hi,

I am in need of advice and good tips. Pointers to how-to's on the web would be nice too.

My townhouse is 10 years old. I was about to begin painting when I noticed that the trims and crown molding began to crack a lot. I was told I should remove the old caulking and put in new caulk. Any tips on how to do it? Also, I want to make sure that the new caulking lasts. Any good ones out there? I assume that they need to expand and contract very easily as it gets quite cold in the winter and quite hot in the summer here. Thanks, I am a novice at all this.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

How wide are the gaps?

Is there a lot of difference in the humidity winter and summer?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

just touch up bad areas with caulk , walke up , its only 10 yrs old , caulk lasts 40 - 50 yrs

Reply to
m Ransley

The gaps vary from 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch. I agree with your comment on the humidity. So which brand is good to widthstand the varying environment? Also, I know that caulk is supposed to last 25 to 50 years. My neighbor had the same issues I had with the cracking. They removed the old caulking and put in some new caulking that was guaranteed for 30 years and after 6 months, cracking re-appeared.

Thanks in advanced for the info.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

You are to worried about caulk and gaps, just reseal the area with Good caulk and go on with life...

Reply to
m Ransley

I am sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but I was hoping that the answers to my questions would help others who may have the answer. I was afraid you were trying to calk a very large gap. It appears not, although an 1/8 might be pushing it. ;-)

You are going to need someone who works with the stuff more often than I do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As offensive as plastic moulding might be it won't move with humidity.

http://www.royalmould> Hi,

Reply to
RB