Carrier high-eff furnace exhaust fan screech

My 1992 Carrier 58SXc060 high-efficiency furnace has developed a screech in the exhaust fan when it turns on. The screech goes away if you grab the motor and lightly move it on its rubber-gasketed mount. This doesn't permanently fix the problem, as the noise comes back on a subsequent startup.

(This may not be relevant, but this problem developed 3 weeks after the Carrier dealer replaced the secondary heat exchanger. This exchanger was replaced under warranty; it is the part that has been the subject of lawsuits and a pending nationwide settlement over corrosion. Mine had not corroded, but its coating was peeling away, so I got a new one).

In talking to the dealer by phone about the new exhaust fan problem, the dealer suggested that the entire motor/fan assembly may need to be replaced for hundreds of dollars in parts/labor.

I do not think the motor itself is failing. Rather, it appears the screech originates within the black plastic fan housing. Before I have a repairman come, I would be grateful for any opinions from people who have dealt with this problem. It has come up on this group before, though the solution was never made clear.

Dave

Reply to
Dave