Carpet 'spot' cleaning?

Hi all,

Spot is in quotes in the subject because my problem really isn't a spot but rather a long smear of some sorts about 10 feet long. I think that it was a heavy suitcase or trunk that may have been dragged and ground either some plastic or a peice of eyeliner or pencil crayon or who knows what.

I tried steam cleaning and using carpet spot remover with oxyclean and no luck. My plan tonight is to try googone.

Carpet is a light grey coloured berber (closed loop) and the mark is black.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo

What is the carpet made of? If it a synthetic fiber, there is the possibility that the friction of dragging a heavy object may have melted the fibers.

Or try

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

If you can't get it out--- and you're not married-- putting a runner on top of it would be one way to go...

Reply to
Ricky Bobby

Solvents like paint thinner or acetone may dissolve if plastic, eyeliner or crayon. Bleach and soaps are not going to attack such a stain except by mechanical removal. Make sure you do a test area before attacking spot with solvents.

Reply to
Frank

Plastic probably would not rub off onto carpet, and if pencil should be just a thin line. Rubber - bike tire? Tar? I would try mineral spirits and isolate the fibers if possible so that if you do dissolve the stuff it won't soak down further into the carpet. Try wrapping a flat blade, like a putty knife, with clean cloth and put in down into the carpet pile alongside the stain. Then take a cloth well wrung out in m.s. and wipe the stained pile. Good idea to try on inconspicuous spot first.

Reply to
norminn

"Charlie" wrote in news:gq8iv6$7mt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

I was thinking it was something like this. Or perhaps the edge of the heavy object (I am suspecting a large suitcase with a broken wheel) melted and fused itself to the fibres. I would suspect that the light grey fibres would have just melted and stayed the same or similar colour, that is why I think it may be part of the object that rubbed off onto the carpet.

Unfortunately this mark is right smack in the middle of the carpet.

Reply to
GoHabsGo

You could get a contrasting color of the same type of carpet and cut in an accent diamond as a focal point in the center of the room. Very impressive if done in two tones. I've done this for several folks who didn't want to change the entire carpet.

Reply to
DanG