Can you really sleep with a Window AC unit on?

No, you are wrong.

Noise is a product of the design in addition to quality. Stop by your home depot and lowes and you will see that many of the japanese models are super quiet AND super efficient. They cost more too.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

We have one of these. I'd say it's very noisy. Noisier than our cheap GE.

Reply to
montana wildhack

I understand how higher efficiency could (all other factors being equal) conceivably translate into more noise, but I don't believe that's the situation in this case.

Since to OP says it's quiet in fan-only mode, I'm inclined to think that one of the refrigerant lines within the unit is not routed correctly and is vibrating on something inside the unit, or the compressor itself is vibrating against something.

The bottom line is that the he needs to take it back and exchange it for another.

Reply to
Banister Stairwell

What he needs to do, if thats the case, is what all techs are SUPPOSED to do when they install any system...PTAC, window, or central...

Loosen the compressor bolts one turn...

Reply to
CBHVAC

Yes, but 5500 Btu window units are not supposed to be opened by the consumer for normal installation. And Wal Mart does not have a lot of techs to go out for the service calls. Sure, the factory may have over tightened the bolts or bent a line, or a baffle could have shifted from a bang during shipping. If it was a slide out chassis, I'd say give your idea a try, but consumer units should not need intervention. Take it back.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is it wired correctly? Back when I was learning to do electrical work. I accidentally wired a 220 Air Cond. to a 440 line in a factory office. Amazingly the unit did not burn up, it was just extremely noisy. The unit was returned and replaced with another, and that one was also very noisy. That's when my boss discovered my goofup. I got bitched out, the thing was connected to 220, and it was quiet. After that, I learned to meter the mains before hooking up something in industrial buildings.

If this is in your home, you doubtfully have 440, but you didn't hook a 110 unit to 220 ?????

Reply to
spamfree

This sounds like the start of a WAR !!!!!

Reply to
spamfree

Drink enough booze before bed, and you WILL be able to sleep.........

Reply to
spamfree

Between you and thermodynamics, I'll believe the latter.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Ear plugs?

Reply to
Yaofeng

I sleep very well with the window AC running, thank you

Reply to
rj

Consumer's Report says that the Kenmore 72059 is a Best Buy with good noise level. I'm very much considering it. Anybody already got one?

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Before you get all excited those models in consumer rpts many times are no longer avail. Best of Luck

Reply to
Jim2034204

Not the 72059, but the 73069 Low Profile.

We've been thru numerous ac units and it had become a kind of silent mission for me to find an acceptable bedroom solution which is what drew me into this thread. The 73069 is the answer! We paid ~$160 thanks to the efforts of My Wife the Shark. It retails for $200. But it'd still be worth it.

What sent me to Sears (after first reading the Consumer Reports article) was the feedback at eOpinions.com

As quiet as they say and very effective in our 12'x14' bedroom.

C.

Reply to
Chuck