Can you mix two different types together? Wet

I want to pour some cement around my house. We have a side walk around our house and a 10 inch wide strips of dirt between the sidewalk and our house. We use to have decorative rock there but now I would like to fill it in with cement so no weed will grow. The more expensive cement would give me a nicer surface finish but cost too much. What about using the cheaper cement on the bottom (2" thick or so) and 1/2" layer of better quality cement at the top layer while they are both still wet. Can you do that or will the different shrink rate be a problem. I assume if I let the bottom layer harden first and then add the 1/2 inch cement later, it will not adhere as good. Thanks.

Reply to
labicff

It should work. Make sure you have all your work lined up in advance, no second chances on this one.-Jitney

Reply to
jtnospam

p.s. this area I am referring to is not a traffic area that would be walked on. I am not sure what else to put there besides concrete so it looks clean. We use to have white decorative rocks there, but they quickly look messy from the debris that falls from our trees. I did not like stones either because our toddlers like to spread them all over our lawn.

Reply to
labicff

First some terminology. Cement, such as Portland cement, is a component of concrete. Concrete concatins cement, sand and gravel typicly. Mortar is cement, sand and lime, no gravel, used for setting brick or block.

For your job you want concrete, not cement. I'm sure thats what you meant.

I'm not aware of a wide variety in prices of different concretes. There are some with additional components to cause them to set faster, slower or harder. You do not need any of these for your project. So, just use the cheap stuff.

Do the math on how much you will need before you begin. You will be surprised how many bags you need from the home center. Each 90lb bag is good for 2/3 cubic feet. Sidewalks are typicly done at 4" thick. You do not say how long of a section you need to do. Lets assume 10 feet, you can do the math from there... 10'x10"x4" = .102881 cubic yards or 2.778 cubic feet.

4.164 bags for each 10 foot section. Also, 90lb bags are becoming uncommon at home centers. 60 and 40lb bags are more common these days. See if a local company can deliver this for you, pre-mixed. Usually 1 cubic yard is minimum charge around here and costs about $100 delivered. YMMV. Some will come by after delivering a large load somewhere else and sell you whats left in truck. Probably a minimum charge applies here. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck.

Reply to
No

I would think the reverse would happen, it would improve my drainage. Right now I have a sidewalk and a 10" wide strip of dirt bordering around my house. So it fit rains the water goes in the dirt which is touching my house. If I fill it with concrete and put a slight slope to it, so the rain will run off the 10" strip down to the sidewalk and all the way to the lawn which is 40" away from the house. Would you not want water further away from your house?

Reply to
labicff

I would think the reverse would happen, it would improve my drainage. Right now I have a sidewalk and a 10" wide strip of dirt bordering around my house. So it fit rains the water goes in the dirt which is touching my house. If I fill it with concrete and put a slight slope to it, so the rain will run off the 10" strip down to the sidewalk and all the way to the lawn which is 40" away from the house. Would you not want water further away from your house?

lbbss

Reply to
labicff

thanks.

lbbss

Reply to
labicff

What is "cheaper cement"? AFAIK, concrete (not cement) is pretty much the same other than in strength and that doesn't affect the surface finish.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I can understand this desire, but before you rashly fill in this area, consider where else rain water will go, if it can't soak in there. Sometimes patches of ground like this serve as a sort of drain, and if you block it, the water needs somewhere else to go. Heaven forbid that it should end up in your basement. Just a thought.

Reply to
KLS